cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

ESP8266 and Intel Galielo

Jump to solution

Have decided its time to break my IoT devices away from ethernet cables and just want to make sure before I order these that these are compatible with Intel Galileo, I am guessing that I should be able to connect the VCC to 3.3v, connect the ground and then the RX of Galileo to TX of ESP8266 and vice versa (TX of Galileo to RX of ESP8266 ). No other items will be needed to be purchased so I can connect to wifi from the Galileos with this will they? Also if anyone could provide me any links to good power banks for the Galileo so I could move away from mains power would be great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281825837977 ESP8266 WIFI Wireless Transceiver Module Send Receive LWIP AP+STA arduino E#

1 Solution
Carlos_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Adam,

From the http://www.intel.com/support/galileo/sb/CS-035127.htm# 502 FAQ for the Galileo boards you will see that it is not recommended to use the Galileo board without a power supply. This could potentially damage your board if you use the USB client port or if you are going to attach shields or devices to the board.

[Note] An option could be using a Li-PO battery and an external circuit that will be measuring the current and load of the battery in order to turn down the board when this will be required. Do not use the USB client if you are not using a power supply. This is an option that may work but I still suggest you to use a power supply at all times just as the FAQ mentions.

Regards,

Charlie

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Carlos_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Adam,

From the http://www.intel.com/support/galileo/sb/CS-035127.htm# 502 FAQ for the Galileo boards you will see that it is not recommended to use the Galileo board without a power supply. This could potentially damage your board if you use the USB client port or if you are going to attach shields or devices to the board.

[Note] An option could be using a Li-PO battery and an external circuit that will be measuring the current and load of the battery in order to turn down the board when this will be required. Do not use the USB client if you are not using a power supply. This is an option that may work but I still suggest you to use a power supply at all times just as the FAQ mentions.

Regards,

Charlie

View solution in original post

idata
Community Manager

Ok thanks well that limits the amount I can use the boards in real world applications Thanks for the answer, is the serial to the PC required at all times as well? if the item was to be a standalone unit could it function with just internet connection and power? Not sure if you have any feedback on the ESP8266 ?

Carlos_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Adam,

The Serial cable is not required at all times. One alternative could be using PoE – Power Over Ethernet:

About the ESP8266, take a look at:

Regards,

Charlie

idata
Community Manager

Ok thanks am actually looking at moving these projects to standalone AVR and ARM devices on our own PCBs, will the sensors used in the dev kit be compatible?

Carlos_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Adam,

There shouldn't be problems. I suggest you to always check the voltage and current specifications of the shield you want to use. The shields could use 1.8V, 3.3V or 5V so is always good to check the voltage in order to avoid damaging the shield.

Regards,

Charlie