Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Edison Bricked

Hello everyone! After getting my edison, I tried to install Ubilinux for its capabilities to host a ad hoc network, but after trying, my edison board has not been working at all. When both usb cables are plugged in, I see that MERRIFIELD driver pops up and down in the device manager, and am unable to figure out why. After waiting for 1 minute, everything settles down in my device manager, but it just isnt right. Only one COM port shows up, and not the one used to program arduino even though I have both cables plugged in! I tried connecting to the Edison board through Putty, but nothing happens. Is there any way that I can fix this, or do I have to get another one? Thanks again.

-Bufford Humbkingle

Tags (1)
26 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor II
1 View

This one looks more like a broken board to me. If the console is blank (and assuming the port and cable are fine), that must be something really low-level.

I'd suggest you to start a new thread on this, describing the expansion board you have, the way you power it (USB or wall adapter) and maybe shooting a short video with a phone or something, showing all the connections and what's happening when it starts (including LEDs) - that would be a good start to troubleshoot this one.

As far as the ad-hoc network is concerned, yes, it's possible to setup Edison to serve as an access point. I don't have any specific instruction at hand, but I think I saw threads on this in the community. The keyword here is "hostapd", which is the daemon behind this functionality. Just search the community for that or "edison access point" - and I see there are quite a few things coming up by these. And as usual - if nothing you find works, just start a new thread, someone will help you, the community is really active these days

EDIT: Oh and I'm glad we've revived your first board, now on to some cool projects!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II
1 View

only 1 light is not necessarily a bad thing, but, agree with AlexT, if console is blank then ++ungood.

I did some seriously embarrassingly bad things to one of my Edisons, and, even then, flashall+xfstk was able to put a working ubilinux back in place. (yes I know the "recovery" function in flashall was fixed such that it no longer requires xfstk. mostly. did I mention "embarrassingly-bad"?) - but even in that worst case, I still had a serial console.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I
1 View

Thanks for the response AlexT!

Here is a video of what is happening right now. I read online that the switches on the edison breakout board can help

recover an edison if it has a corrupted operating system. Would you know how I can do that? Thanks anyways.

-Bufford

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor II
1 View

Well, actually the LED blinking sequence looks just fine - it's absolutely the same I see on my board. So that must be something else here. And lack of the console is quite strange. Are you using teh same USB cable and laptop port as with the previous board (just to eliminate possible variables)?

What have you done to this second board, is that the same as the first one (failed ubilinux install)? I see there's something connected to pins over there, have you tried powering it on without those connections (though that's a weak one, it shouldn't behave like that even if there's something wrong in the connected stuff).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I
1 View

These are the same USB cables as the previous board.This board was a little bit different. On the other board, I tried to install ubilinux while it was on this big breakout board, while this one was on the small breakout board. I just mounted it to the big one so we can see what happens in detail. I tried powering it without the connectors, and it just behaves the same way.

-Bufford

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor II
1 View

I see. Well, to be honest I'm out of ideas then. The buttons you mentioned are sort of "reserved" (see Arduino expansion board user guide,section 9.1), I don't really know if and how you could use those for restoring the firmware.

However it does look to me more like a hardware problem, I can;t believe the firmware got that deeply corrupted so that it displays nothing on the serial port. I'd rather suspect a port failure or something. Maybe it's a good moment to try returning it where you've bought it, claiming HW failure?

As a sort of a last resort, you could try forcibly reflashing it, using the same flashall approach, but adding a "--recovery" switch. For that you'd either need to have an xFSTK utility built or slightly modify the flashall script, the modification is described in the ubilinux thread (you need to add the -R switch and a dfu-wait, AFAIR). Then you'd just start the script, power on the board and see if script recognizes it. If it doesn't - try restarting the script and pressing Reset (SW1UI5) button without powering off the board. This technique usually worked for me when script didn't want to see the board using the canonical start script-power on the board approach.

CMata_Intel, DiegoV_Intel, JPMontero_Intel - if you guys have any other ideas, please chime in.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee
1 View

Hi folks,

After reading the whoooole the thread I understand that the flashall method was already tried from Windows. Can you confirm that BuffordHumbkingle?

The only thing I can think is to try the flashall method using the recovery mode, just as AlexT_Intel suggested. However, this method can be done only in a Linux OS due it needs xFTSK and it is only available for Linux.

So the first thing to try this method is to install xFSTK. To perform this task, the following threads are very useful:

In the second thread there is a pre-built version of the xFSTK, and also there is a step-by-step guide about how to install it. I will explain how I set all the necessary tools to perform this method. Remember that this method is only available in Linux. I used Ubuntu 12.04 32bit.

1. Download the Edison Yocto image:

2. Download the xFSTK from the thread I linked. The thread is this one:

3. I had some problems for missing dependencies, but I was able to resolve them installing the following:

sudo apt-get install g++ qtcreator build-essential devscripts libxml2-dev alien doxygen graphviz libusb-dev libboost-all-dev

sudo apt-get install libqt4-dev qt4-qmake

This part is explained here: . Just to avoid any error I will recommend you to install the packages above.

4. Install xFSTK with the following command:

dpkg -i xfstk-downloader-_0.0.0_all.deb

5. You will need, as in Windows, the dfu-util. To install it, run the following command:

sudo apt-get install dfu-util

6. At this point you should have all the necessary tools to start. Make sure you did all the steps successfully.

7. Un-compress the Edison Yocto image you downloaded at the beginning.

8. Connect the power supply to your Edison Arduino Expansion Board.

9. Connect your Edison to your PC with both USB cables.

10. You have to run the flashall.sh script. However, to use xFSTK you have to run it in recovery mode. So you have to run the following command:

sudo ./flashall.sh --recovery

11. Then follow the instructions that will appear in the command prompt. You will have to reboot the Edison (use the button SW1UI5) and the recovery process should start. If the process is completed successfully, you should get the following message:

"Recovery Success...

You can now try a regular flash"

12. Then you have to run the flashall.sh script again but without using the recovery mode. You should run the following command to start the flashing process:

sudo ./flashall.sh

You can use PuTTY, Minicom or similar software to monitor the process from the Edison's console. If you use Minicom run the following command to open it:

minicom -D /dev/ttyUSB0 -b 115200

I hope this information is helpful. Please post your results here.

Regards,

Diego.

0 Kudos