Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TConr1
New Contributor I

Edison Serial number - naming scheme / syntax?

Hello, we were trying to find some clarification on the syntax Intel is using on the Serial Numbers for the Intel Edison. We are considering using these serial numbers rather than generating our own, but in the perfect world we would have a shorter number.

For example the serial numbers printed on the box, and available on the device at /factory/serial_number seem to be in this format:

FZED438D00EBB501

or

FZEDA545D0106D501 (this is a model purchased more recently than the above # )

In all cases, it seems the "FZED" is common and the last 3 digits "501" are common. Is it same to assume these will always be common?

The remaining unique digits, "A545D0106D" -- are these incremented serially as the Edisons are produced? I assume these are not randomly generated IDs and instead are only used once.

Thanks for the clarification!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TConr1
New Contributor I

Also, one clarification I noticed the "FZEDA545D0106D501" has an added character, "A" bringing the total length to 17.

the old number "FZED438D00EBB501" has only 16 digits.

Just curious if there is a convention for how these numbers are going to progress ...

Thanks

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

Thank you for your patience.

The information you requested is the following:

The serial number of the Edison module is divided in 4 sections.

The first section (4 first letters) is divided in two parts: A1 and A2. A1 are the first 2 letters, this is a reserved number. A2 is ""ED"" in case you're looking at the Edison module. A2 is different for the Arduino and mini breakout boards.

The second section (next 4 characters) is divided in 3 parts: B1, B2 and B3. B1 is 1 number, equal to the last digit of the year manufactured. B2 is the world week the unit was manufactured. B3 is the form factor. B3 can be B=baseboard or D=daughterboard.

The third section (next 5 characters) is a sequential number.

The fourth section (last three numbers) is the number of the bill of material revision.

We are working on posting a knowledge article containing this information. This article will be available soon.

Sergio

TConr1
New Contributor I

Very helpful info! Thanks for posting this answer ...

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

We will investigate further into this case. We'll post a reply to you soon.

Sergio