cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VGopa2
New Contributor I

Edison USB mount error after doing firmware update

Hi,

We had flashed edison with a new image (3.10.98-poky-edison+). Our use case was to save the device logs to a folder in Edison and also access this folder as a USB mass storage device interface from a PC. But it seems that the folder is appearing as read only. This is the error we are getting:

/update/Error_log: Read-only file system

Data file opening failed

Segmentation fault

Please help us to fix this issue. With an earlier version of Edison image, we didnt have any problems.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello vinu_gk,

Thanks for reaching out!

Could you please let us know the steps you took in order to save the logs into Edison's mass storage drive and to be able to access it through your PC? Also, please let us know the image in which this process was successful

I'd like to see if I can replicate this behavior on both version of the image (the latest and the one in which it did work).

Let me know.

-Peter.
idata
Community Manager

Hello vinu_gk,

Do you have any updates about this?

-Peter.
VGopa2
New Contributor I

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply.

This issue was not there with 3.10.17-poky-edison+ . We see the issue in the latest image.

We mount the Edison to PC using the following commands:

losetup -o 8192 /dev/loop0 /dev/disk/by-partlabel/update

mount /dev/loop0 /update

After this, we create a file in /update and when we try to write into it, the system shows segmentation fault. The /update is set as read only.

regards,

Vinu

idata
Community Manager

Hi Vinu,

I tried to replicate the issue on my Edison using the latest image and I was not able to do so. Please check my test below and let me know if I'm missing something.

If I'm not missing anything, then, your board might need to be reflashed. Try that and let me know if it helps.

-Peter.

idata
Community Manager

Hi Vinu,

Do you have any updates about this?

-Peter.
KKush
Novice

Hi Peter,

I am also facing the same issue as Vinu mentioned in his question. Please find below screenshot of my log. I have re flashed the board twice but having the same issue.

Please help to fix issue.

Thanks.

idata
Community Manager

Hi KHTS,

Unfortunately, I'm not able to replicate the behavior that Vinu and you are experiencing, as you can see in the screenshot below.

My best suggestion is that you try to recover your board using the flashall.sh method. You can learn how to do it in /docs/DOC-25154 https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-25154.

Let me know how it goes.

-Peter.
KKush
Novice

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply.

I have re flashed the board with flashall.sh method as you mentioned in the reply.

But still facing the same issue.

Can you check the by default permission of /dev/loop0 in your image?

I changed the permission with chmod+777 /dev/loop0. But facing the same issue.

Can you give suggestions how to proceed further?

Thanks.

idata
Community Manager

Sure, below you can check a screenshot of the output of ls -la /dev | grep loop:

Since I'm not able to replicate the issue I'm running out of ideas, but something that has been known to fix some strange behaviors in the past was going to a previous version of the image and then returning to the latest, so you might want to try if this makes a difference.

I suggest you to flash this image:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/25384/eng/edison-iotdk-image-280915.zip http://downloadmirror.intel.com/25384/eng/edison-iotdk-image-280915.zip

Then let us know what happens.

-Peter.