Intel® Makers
Intel® Edison, Intel® Joule™, Intel® Curie™, Intel® Galileo
Announcements
Welcome - This is a Peer-to-Peer Forum only. Intel has discontinued these products but you may find support from other customers on this Forum
9868 Discussions

Edison can only detect USB-Ethernet adapter on every OTHER reboot

SLi47
Novice

I am using a USB-Ethernet adapter to connect Edison + mini breakout to Ethernet. However, Edison can only detect the USB-Ethernet adapter on every other reboot (e.g., if Edison correctly detects the adapter now, it won't be able to detect it after a reboot, and it will detect it after another reboot. So on an so forth). Any idea how to fix this problem?

Some earlier discussion can be found here:

Thanks

Shen

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Carlos_M_Intel
Employee

Hi shenli

Some questions about your issue:

Have you tried to use the adapter on another device to check it's functionality?

Is the same behavior with another thing connected to the USB?

How are you powering the board?

Which image version are you using?

How are you rebooting the board?

Are you able to always see the device under /sys/bus/usb/devices?

Regards;

CMata

SLi47
Novice

Hi @CMata_Intel

Sorry about the delay. Below is the detailed information:

1. Have you tried to use the adapter on another device to check it's functionality?

Yes, I connected it to my laptop. In this case, the laptop is able to detect the adapter on every reboot.

2. Is the same behavior with another thing connected to the USB?

Yes. I connected a USB drive to Edison + mini breakout (using type-A micro USB to USB cable). The USB drive has a right LED showing whether it is working properly. Similarly, Edison can only detect the USB drive on every other reboot.

3. How are you powering the board?

I used the J21 power pins to feed Edison 12V power.

4. Which image version are you using?

I tried both Ubilinux (based on ww05-15 official yocto linux) and ww05-15 yocto linux. The behavior is the same.

5. How are you rebooting the board?

First using screen to connect to Edison, switch to root, and then type "reboot".

If the reboot is done by powering off - powering on Edison, the adapter (and the USB drive) can be detected on every reboot.

6. Are you able to always see the device under /sys/bus/usb/devices?

No. The adapter (and the USB drive) can only be seen under /sys/bus/usb/devices when the adapter is correctly detected.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Shen

Carlos_M_Intel
Employee

Hi shenli

I'm sorry for the delay in my response. Are you having the intermittent behavior only with the reboot command?

I don't have a microUSB module to test this in this moment but have you tried to use reboot-flags to check the behavior of the USB port?

Like:

root@edison:~# reboot -f

Regards;

CMata

SLi47
Novice

Hi

Thanks for your response. I tried reboot -f and reboot -p. Unfortunately, neither of them work. I think the bug occurs when ID=L and VBUS=H at boot time. Do you know if there is any way to force VBUS=L at boot time?

Thanks,

Shen

Carlos_M_Intel
Employee

Hi shenli

I found this . It seems like your issue. There is already a report for fixing this issue so in the meantime the workaround would be reboot twice or unplug and plug the board.

You also can try with:

1. echo 1 > /sys/module/intel_mid/parameters/force_cold_boot

2. In this thread there is a solution that you could try. Seems that the problem is with ID and not with VBUS.

Regards;

CMata

SLi47
Novice

Hi CMata_Intel

Thanks! It is great to know that the Edison team is fixing this bug.

In terms of the attempt to set force_cold_boot to 1, I've tried that. It does not work either.

Thanks again. Let's hope this bug will be fixed soon.

Best,

Shen

KBruy
Novice

Is there any ETA on a fix for this issue as my project relies on this...

KBruy
Novice

After more than a month, still no news on this, I think I have to leave the Edison, a shame, it was promising to me, but now seems useless...