Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CKing1
Novice

Edison doesn't always power on when power applied to VIN

I have several edison boards in a prototype design which applies 9V DC @500mA to VIN (J17 pin 4). We're using the Edison Breakout Board.

Generally they are working fine when power is applied to VIN however after some time one of my boards has stopped booting automatically and I have to open the case and press the power button. Then it boots and functions normally.

Is there some reason this behavior would change (settings getting corrupted)? Is there a bios setting or pin I can access to ensure that the system ALWAYS powers on when power is applied? (Similar to the always on after power failure option of most PC BIOS)

Thanks!

Cosmo

3 Replies
Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Cosmo_King,

Is it one specific Breakout Board that presents this behavior? Do you have any external circuitry connected to it?

Also, the voltage that you're applying comes from a battery or an external power supply? In case you're using a battery, have you tried with an external power supply? I would suggest you to check this thread too, /thread/60756 https://communities.intel.com/thread/60756, in case you're using a battery.

You can also try flashing your board, there might be a kernel issue that's causing this behavior. Here are the instructions /docs/DOC-98643 https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-98643.

Regards,

Pablo

CKing1
Novice

Pablo,

Thank you, the link to helps. As mentioned there, I am using a smallish battery (100mA lipo) which is attached to the edison when the power is applied.

When I remove the lipo battery and apply power the board now boots.

I will move to a larger battery and see how that goes. It may have something to do with the level of discharge of the battery and thus the current that is being drawn at boot time ?

I know that it was not a software issue because I swapped edison chips with a system that was working and the problem continued. I suspect the battery charging circuit on the edison breakout board.

Thanks,

Cosmo

Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Cosmo_King,

It sounds plausible that the issue has something to do with the level of discharge of the battery, however, it would be necessary to investigate this a little bit more. Have you been able to test with a different battery? Please let us know your results.

Regards,

Pablo