Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JChri8
Novice

Edison goes into some kind of sleeping mode after a few hours. Cannot reach it via a redis PubSub

Hello,

so I have my Edison hooked up to my room lights. The main program is running as a python script that makes use of the mraa lib. To get external access to it, another python script is connecting to a remote redis server and listens on a channel. After a few hours of inactivity though, I cannot reach my edison via the redis channel. Directly accessing it from a local network works though. After I accessed it locally (ssh, the local network API) the redis connection starts to work again, too. The queued messages then get executed after publishing another message in that channel.

I already have wifi power management disabled. Both scripts are running as systetmd services.

Any help is much appreciated. If you need more information, just ask me.

7 Replies
Pedro_M_Intel
Employee

Hello Rukenshiua,

Similar behaviors have been reported but when using the Edison's SPI interface. Do you use SPI on your scripts? In case you don't, could you share your script with us? I would like to check it to see if I can find something out.

A workaround for this issue, might be to restart the scripts from time to time. You could set a timer to restart your script every couple of hours or so. Do you think that this could be a viable "solution" for your project?

Peter.

JChri8
Novice

Hello Peter,

Here is the code for the redis connection: http://pastebin.com/6FWsSJ2J [Python] import redis import urllib2 import urllib import requests import time r = - Pastebin.com

I am currently logging every message the redis connection receives and I am also monitoring the "edipy-ack" channel on redis. I will probably have to wait until tomorrow to have more results.

As for your suggestion, I already tried re-connecting to redis at a certain interval. I didnt think about just restarting the service every few hours. After I have the results from my current test and can be 100% sure that it is in fact the redis connection that is faulty, I'll give that a shot.

Thanks,

Jan

JChri8
Novice

A quick update:

I was able to test both methods today. My logging showed me that the connection did not receive any messages via redis, so my guess is that it is either timed out (python is not throwing any exceptions, though) or the connection is frozen (as in not receiving any updates, polling forever). Restarting the service did not help, only everytime I reconnect to my edison via ssh I can use the redis connection after a few seconds again. This probably means that it is some misconfiguration, but I really don't know whats going on.

Jan

Pedro_M_Intel
Employee

I see, I have never experienced anything like this before. I'd like to run a simple test to see if my Edison loses its connectivity as well. How long does it take your Edison to go to this "sleep" mode?

This is the script I'm going to run in the background:

# !/bin/sh

declare -i cont=0

while true

do

cont=$cont+1

echo -e "\n\nCicle: $cont\n" >> log.txt

ping www.google.com -c 2 >> log.txt

echo -e "\n\nDate & Hour\n" >> log.txt

date >> log.txt

sleep 5m

done

I invite you to test it again to see if we get similar results.

Peter.

JChri8
Novice

Started it on mine too.

This usually happens when I get back from work, so roughly 8 hours.

Pedro_M_Intel
Employee

I left my Edison almost 24 hours on and I was not able to replicate the issue, the worst case-scenario I was able to see in the log is that the Edison occasionally lost one of the packets. How was your test? Did you see any different behavior?

Peter.

JChri8
Novice

Had mine running until now, too. No issues with it. So at this point I am almost 100% certain that it is a problem with the redis-py lib rather than my edison itself. I found a similar issue in the library (https://github.com/andymccurdy/redis-py/issues/705 Long running listen expires after certain days · Issue # 705 · andymccurdy/redis-py · GitHub). I will try the solution(s) posted there and if I cant get it to work I'll open an issue on their github. I highly doubt at this point that it is the edisons fault.