Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YHOJO1
New Contributor I

Edison: how to prevent Windows from trying to install MERRIFIELD device?

When I plug Edison to Windows PC, some of Windows PCs ask me to use Administrators account to install MERRIFIELD device. By clicking Cancel, Edison works fine.

I do not like users to be bothered by this message and Edison only needs to be seen as USB storage from Windows for this application.

I cannot have an administrative account on this Windows PC nor upgrade its OS. So, how can I prevent Windows from trying to install MERRIFIELD device without changing anything on the PC?

Thank you

3 Replies
Pedro_M_Intel
Employee

Hello vjou,

You are using Windows XP, right? If so, which version are you using?

How restricted is the account you are using? What rights does the account currently have?

Are the Edison's drivers installed on the PC?

Peter.

YHOJO1
New Contributor I

Hi Peter,

Yes, the PC that I'm plugging Edison in is Windows XP. The PC is a part of the system that we are using and vendor of the system won't allow us to modify nor upgrade the PC without cost. So, I was hoping that removing or disabling some USB service in Edison's system might prevent the Windows message from showing up. I do not think the cost is worth removing the bothering message, and I can just write in the manual to ignore the message when it shows up. Do I have any way to modify Edison to remove the message without installing Edison's drivers?

Thank you

Pedro_M_Intel
Employee

I believe there's no way of stopping that message from appearing without installing the Edison's drivers, and unfortunately I don't have access to a PC with Windows XP to test it. So my best suggestion is that you do add that step to your manual.

Peter.