cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JIsda
Beginner

Edison-iotdk-image-280915 expands too big to copy to edison

Jump to solution

I am trying to update my Edison to the latest version... The Downloads page (https://software.intel.com/en-us/iot/hardware/edison/downloads IoT - Intel® Edison Board Download | Intel® Developer Zone) gives me Release 2.1 as the file edison-iotdk-image-280915.zip ... following the instructions I download this to my Mac, unzip the file and attempt to copy files to the EDISON drive.

Unfortunately that volume is 805Mb and the expanded files are too large... in particular edison-image-edison.ext4 is 985.8Mb

How can this be correct? What is the fix to get this to install?

1 Solution
7 Replies
JWils11
Beginner

Thanks... this solution worked for me as well. They lastest fw update is edison-iotdk-image-280915. It appears Intel may have deprecated the older edison-image-ww25.5-15 naming convention for the Edison firmware update zip file. It takes a while for the entire process to run, the rootfs takes the longest time.

jd

SBarn5
Novice
KEckh
Valued Contributor III

I know that this is also a side question, but also makes you wonder, when you now see that that image file and some of the internal files are time stamped in September,

edison-iotdk-image-280915. Are there any functional changes from when this version was released in May? If so what?

JIsda
Beginner

Very good question Kurt. It is significantly bigger than the May one. Not sure where to find Release Notes.

I did get the Flash Tool Lite to run properly.

The incorrect documentation is in a couple places in the Intel and Sparkfun Starting Guides. I sent a note to my friends at Sparkfun about theirs.

AClar15
New Contributor I

That link was for mac - So just for completeness, on a PC,

What I do is much simpler - I just unzip everything to my PC hard-drive,

And run the Bat file (flashall.bat) that's in the zip file - it shows a black console.

Then, with one or two USB cables attached - I just press the Reset button on the Edison.

After about 20 seconds - it will start to flash. No file copying needed.

SBarn5
Novice

You got it! Just folllow the link to your OS!! I'm glad I didn't bang my head on my desk trying to figure out how to make the partition bigger.