cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MGilm
New Contributor I

Edison mini breakout board - unblinkable LED

Jump to solution

Following the steps https://software.intel.com/en-us/blinking-an-led-with-eclipse-ide-on-the-intel-edison-board IoT - Blinking an LED with the Eclipse* IDE | Intel® Developer Zone

I attempted to pursue the blinking of an LED on the mini breakout board. The web page hints at trouble: "Steps for the Intel® Edison module with mini breakout board may vary slightly."

Looking through the documentation for the breakout board, it seems clear that there is no way to blink the LEDs:

"The Intel® Edison Breakout Board has two LEDs. There is no direct control over these LEDs, so they are described here for informational purposes. "

1 Solution
Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Mike-SYR,

Yes, the Mini-Breakout board doesn't have a built-in LED for these purposes so you'll have to add external circuitry if you want to blink a LED using the Mini-Breakout Board. I suggest you to take a look at the thread below, where this is already discussed.

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Mike-SYR,

Yes, the Mini-Breakout board doesn't have a built-in LED for these purposes so you'll have to add external circuitry if you want to blink a LED using the Mini-Breakout Board. I suggest you to take a look at the thread below, where this is already discussed.

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

View solution in original post

MGilm
New Contributor I

Hi PabloM_Intel

Thanks for that.

Since this is all web-based, wouldn't it be easy to update the original page?

Cheers,

Mike

Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Mike-SYR,

Thank you for your feedback. Just one question, do you mean the site that you were using to follow the Blink example? Or the documentation for the Breakout Board?

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

MGilm
New Contributor I

Hi PabloM_Intel

The web page of the example -that's where, IMO, new users of the board would/should go first.

(Yes, many will still overlook this, but at least it'd be documented and these users can be sent there)

1. A warning upfront, highlighted somehow, about the mini's shortcomings in this regard.

2. Followed, perhaps, by a link to a page on which is a schematic (maybe with photo) of a suitable circuit.

Thanks for your consideration.

Mike

Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Mike-SYR,

Thank you for your feedback, we will pass this information to the team in charge of these changes.

Regards,

PabloM_Intel