Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Contributor II

Edison opkg package repo created

Hello everyone,

As much as I like the idea of enabling Debian on Edison - and that's something I'm going to participate in to make it even easier to use in addition to all that great work done in the Debian thread - I think Yocto is here to stay, so the matter of adding functionality and utilities to the default image is going to be actual for a while. I personally also see a point in having Yocto as an option, as it allows you to create a very focused and trimmed down image for your specific project (after you're done with experimenting and developing, where flexibility in juggling the libs and packages is a key), avoiding the bloat coming with the "general-purpose" distribution.

So in the manner similar to /message/221209# 221209 Galileo I've created a http://repo.opkg.net/edison/repo/ package repo for Edison. All the configuration information is on http://alextgalileo.altervista.org/edison-package-repo-configuration-instructions.html this page and it's as simple as editing one file on the board. The repo hosted on the same site as the Galileo's and big thanks goes again to Daveman for providing that

The repo is based on my own build of the OS image out of the currently released BSP, which adds several items like uvcvideo, gspca_pac207 and ftdi_sio modules as well as the latest Node.js, Motion and some other utilities on top of that. It's the one I used in /docs/DOC-23326 my demo project. I'm going to publish the image as well a bit later, but with the repo you pretty much should be able to add the necessary stuff to the official image (I haven't tested that, but should be possible). Uvcvideo would require kernel reinstall as it's a bit more than just a module in this case, but still looks possible theoretically.

Feel free to check it out and post your feedback as well as wishlists in this thread, I'll try to add the packages as the time and resources permit. Just to make it clear - while I do work for Intel as my forum name implies, I'm not in the Galileo or Edison development or support teams and this repo and other work I do for Galileo and Edison is my hobby (though developing over time into something more serious ) and I'm running this in my free time.

284 Replies
Honored Contributor II

Added to ToDo

0 Kudos
Honored Contributor II

Added to ToDo

0 Kudos
Honored Contributor II

Added nginx to my list

0 Kudos
Honored Contributor II

FYI, I've removed UPM and mraa builds from my repo - for quite a while Intel's IoT DevKit team does a wonderful job of publishing both release versions and daily snapshots, so it no longer makes any sense for me to duplicate that.

See instructions in main README on configuring OPKG to get packages from IoT DevKit repo: https://github.com/intel-iot-devkit/mraa intel-iot-devkit/mraa · GitHub

0 Kudos
Honored Contributor II

Boost was updated to 1.59 in the repo. Taimoor, enjoy (per your request in )

0 Kudos
Honored Contributor II

Subversion was added to the repo

0 Kudos
Community Manager

Thank you Alex!!

Employee

I'm having trouble connecting with the repo in the first place. I've edited the base-feeds.conf file but when I say

$opkg update it just says downloading and then never finishes

$opkg install libasound2-dev (or any package really) it says unknown package.

I'm new to this so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Anything obvious you can spot?

Community Manager

SKhan What does the following command return?

opkg list | grep libasound2

I do not see a -dev package on my console.... Might not be available on Alex's repo... you might need to install from source.

Honored Contributor II

I'd suggest you to check your internet connection - the repo exists for quite a while and has proven to be very stable.

You can try downloading packages manually using wget, to see directly what's going on there.

Honored Contributor II

gaiar, the latest nginx was added to the repo

s89, btusb module was added to the repo

I can't recall who requested that (and looks like not in this thread), but PPP kernel modules were also added to the repo.

0 Kudos
New Contributor I

Hi AlexT_Intel,

I have gone through all this thread and I still haven't figured out a way to get around this error

I am trying to install lsusb in order to setup my play-station Bluetooth connection. Also this might be off topic, but if there is a way to work around the Intel Edison recognizing my PS3 controller bluetooth please let me know as well. I have followed the instruction on http://download.intel.com/support/edison/sb/edisonbluetooth_331704007.pdf http://download.intel.com/support/edison/sb/edisonbluetooth_331704007.pdf

but the Intel Edison Bluetooth can find my phone but can't find the Bluetooth controller. I am a newbie and your help will greatly be appreciated.

Employee

Thanks Alex, I'm able to download packages individually and install them, so that's strange. Either way, thanks.

0 Kudos
Honored Contributor II

SKhan, my pleasure. If you are able to download using wget and opkg complains, it may be something related to the opkg cache. Try removing files called 'all', 'core2-32', 'edison' from /var/lib/opkg and then running "opkg update".

dunex_1, looks like something corrupts metadata files with package lists in the repo when your board downloads them. You should (1) check your internet connection and (2) yu could try replacing "src/gz" with "src" in the opkg config files to see if it makes any difference. That will switch opkg from using gzipped metadata files to plaintext ones, to see if that's a source of the problem.

EDIT: As far as the bluetooth question is concerned - indeed that would be quite off-topic here, so please just start a new thread. I have no ideas right away what would be causing Edison to see a phone, but skip the PS3 controller, aside from maybe non-standard protocol used by the latter.

0 Kudos
New Contributor II

I justed wanted to say "thank you" for your great work

0 Kudos
Beginner

Hi Alex

It would be super useful if you could add sox "the Swiss army knife of sound processing" to the repo.

https://packages.debian.org/sid/sox Debian -- Details of package sox in sid

cheers

Taylor

Beginner

Hello,

First, many thanks for the extremely useful repository. It has been very helpful so far getting me closer to my goals (new to Edison, but not linux in general).

I am using the php5 and apache opkgs, but my application needs openssl and curl support, which doesn't seem to be included in the php5 opkg according to phpinfo(). Would it be possible to rebuild php5 --with-openssl and --with-curl?

In the meantime, I'm attempting to rebuild your php5 opkg myself, but my rough understanding is I need to grab php5 source from the yocto BSP. Would it be possible to build this package on the board itself? Or should I set up the yocto/BSP build environment on my host machine? Will do the latter eventually, but looking for the quickest path to getting my php application running on Edison for now.

Best,

Logan

Beginner

OK, update on the above, I'm able to build my own ipks using the BSP/edison-src/bitbake method on my host machine (follow the BSP User's guide http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005616.html Board Support Package (BSP) User Guide for Boards and Kits and make sure to add the meta-openembedded layer to get the php recipe). Next step for me is to figure out how to install the php ipk on the edison (should be fairly trivial but any pointers would be appreciated, what is the equivalent to dpkg install -i for opkg?) and also how to set my desired compilation flags (--with-openssl and --with-curl). Will post back if more progress is made.

Beginner

Hello,

I have a little bug report: the pulseaudio-dev package depends on jack which is not in the repository.

Otherwise very useful package repository.

0 Kudos
New Contributor I

I have been successful in using pulse-audio-dev on Edison and I had documented it on my notes https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HdBeGXspwMJMrTEV6WNtl-jXbhisvdw3zh4GcRJxOKg/pub# h.jup2twarz5m2 Edison Setup Notes

It sure does take longer but I used everything from AlexT's repository

0 Kudos