cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MMatt22
Beginner

Edison over heats when charging Lipo battery

Hi all,

I am just getting into the Edison and am very impressed with its capabilities. I have made a PCB that simply charges a Lipo battery using the MCP73831T charge controller and allow the Edison to be easily connected using the 70 pin Hirose connector.

The problem I am facing is that the charge controller I am using gets up to about 65'C which in turn heats up the Edison above the max operating temperature of 40'C. Is the max operating temperature the max permissible temperature? The battery will only be charged for a few hours each day or so.

Do you foresee this being an issue? Could you recommend a charge controller that doesn't get as hot?

Thanks for any assistance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi mebarrington,

Thank you very much for contacting us.

I've been looking for options for other charger controllers, however, I haven't found anything related to thermal differences between them, in any case, 65°C for this kind of IC is normal, so I guess it would be difficult to get better results. So, my suggestion would be to use a heat sink for the MCP73831T. Hopefully this will help to keep the Edison at a good temperature. The Edison might work at temperatures higher than 40°C for short periods of time, but I'm not sure how it will react for longer periods, so it would be better to avoid it.

Check this article for more information, it's an old article but provides some really good explanation http://www.electronics-cooling.com/1995/06/how-to-select-a-heat-sink/ http://www.electronics-cooling.com/1995/06/how-to-select-a-heat-sink/. Hope this helps you with your project.

Regards,

-Pablo
idata
Community Manager

Hi mebarrington,

We are wondering if you still have questions regarding this case. If so, don't hesitate to let us know, we will be glad to assist you.

Regards,

-Pablo