cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

Enternal Analog Reference mode not compiling in Arduino + Intel Galileo Gen 2

Jump to solution

I am trying to use external voltage reference in Intel Galileo gen 2 operating in Arduino mode.

So I created a setup code like this:

void setup() {

// We'll send debugging information via the Serial monitor

Serial.begin(9600);

// If you want to set the aref to something other than 5v

analogReference(EXTERNAL); // use AREF for reference voltage

}

I selected the board as Intel Galileo Gen 2 in Tools option. When I compiled I am getting the following error:

LM35_temp_sensor.ino:21:19: error: 'EXTERNAL' was not declared in this scope

But when I change the board to Arduino Uno in Tools option, the program in compiling fine.

This means that Intel Galileo Gen 2 does not support external analog voltage reference?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Employee

Hello Vijayenth,

Yes, the external analog voltage reference is not supported by Galileo. If you check the wiring_analog.c file where the function analogReference() is, you will find the following code:

void analogReference(uint8_t mode)

{

/* Retained for backward compatibilty, only DEFAULT is supported */

}

So this feature is not supported. Additionally, if you check the Galileo schematic, you will find that the AREF pin is not connected to anywhere.

Regards,

Diego.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Employee

Hello Vijayenth,

Yes, the external analog voltage reference is not supported by Galileo. If you check the wiring_analog.c file where the function analogReference() is, you will find the following code:

void analogReference(uint8_t mode)

{

/* Retained for backward compatibilty, only DEFAULT is supported */

}

So this feature is not supported. Additionally, if you check the Galileo schematic, you will find that the AREF pin is not connected to anywhere.

Regards,

Diego.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Novice

That's very sad. Even the Internal voltage reference like 1.1V (INTERNAL1V1) or 2.56V (INTERNAL2V56) are not supported?

This limitation means the analog voltage reference will be always 5V?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello Vijayenth,

The INTERNAL1V1 and INTERNAL2V56 are not supported either. I checked the schematic and the onboard ADC has a constant voltage reference of 5V, so yes, as you said the analog voltage reference is always 5V. It cannot be set to another value through software like in the Arduino UNO.

Regards,

Diego.

0 Kudos