Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Failing to create docker container

While trying to import the Intel IoT C++ hello world project (or any for that case), in the Intel System Studio Eclipse IDE using import from the IoT Edition Examples I am not able to complete the project creation. After giving the proper IP Address for the Intel Edison board (which has been verified by separately trying an SSH connection) once I click finish I am getting the following error "Could not create Docker container for the selected project".

Docker has been verified to be up and running as I am getting the following response on typing > docker run hello-world in the cmd prompt

Hello from Docker!

This message shows that your installation appears to be working correctly.

To generate this message, Docker took the following steps:

1. The Docker client contacted the Docker daemon.

2. The Docker daemon pulled the "hello-world" image from the Docker Hub.

3. The Docker daemon created a new container from that image which runs the

executable that produces the output you are currently reading.

4. The Docker daemon streamed that output to the Docker client, which sent it

to your terminal.

To try something more ambitious, you can run an Ubuntu container with:

$ docker run -it ubuntu bash

Share images, automate workflows, and more with a free Docker ID:

https://cloud.docker.com/

For more examples and ideas, visit:

https://docs.docker.com/engine/userguide/

Versions:

Intel Edison firmware 20160606

Windows 10.0.10586 Enterprise

Docker Version:

Client:

Version: 17.03.0-ce

API version: 1.26

Go version: go1.7.5

Git commit: 60ccb22

Built: Thu Feb 23 10:40:59 2017

OS/Arch: windows/amd64

Server:

Version: 17.03.0-ce

API version: 1.26 (minimum version 1.12)

Go version: go1.7.5

Git commit: 3a232c8

Built: Tue Feb 28 07:52:04 2017

OS/Arch: linux/amd64

Experimental: true

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi shouvik1984,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel® Edison™ Platform.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with Docker in the Intel System Studio. Before we start looking for a solution to your issue, did you already followed this guide: https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/705839 IoT - Installing the Intel® System Studio IoT Edition on Windows* | Intel® Software .

I will be waiting for your reply, have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose P.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Greetings Jose,

I did follow the same guide as mentioned by you for Windows 10 and installed Docker. I believe there is problem starting the yocto container because when I am using the IoT Studio for Maven project I am able to run the project successfully from Eclipse by SSHing into the board and the program runs perfectly.

I also tried running Docker with Admin privilege but it would not start the Linux VM and gives the following exceptions

The running command stopped because the preference variable "ErrorActionPreference" or common parameter is set to Stop: The operation on computer '' failed: Provider is not capable of the attempted operation

at Docker.Backend.ContainerEngine.Linux.DoStart(Settings settings)

at Docker.Backend.ContainerEngine.Linux.Start(Settings settings)

at Docker.Core.Pipe.NamedPipeServer.<>c__DisplayClass8_0.b__0(Object[] parameters)

at Docker.Core.Pipe.NamedPipeServer.RunAction(String action, Object[] parameters)

Thanks and Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi shouvik1984,

Thanks for sharing all your errors in such a detailed manner.

I will investigate more about this issue and get back to you as soon as I have some useful information.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose P.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi shouvik1984,

We appreciate your patience.

We were able to run the Hello World sample in the Intel System Studio without any issues. Could you be so kind to test installing the Docker Toolbox instead of Docker for Windows.

We will be waiting for your results, have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose P.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I exercised the following steps

1. Removed "Docker for Windows"
  2. Downloaded and Installed Docker toolbox
  3. boot2docker.iso was fetched and Docker was up and running with the interactive MinGW shell up. I could run the hello-world in the shell
  4. While trying to start the IoT I faced the following error

Starting Docker...

Starting "default"...

(default) Check network to re-create if needed...

Error setting up host only network on machine start: C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe modifyvm default --nic2 hostonly --nictype2 82540EM --nicpromisc2 deny --hostonlyadapter2 VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter # 2 --cableconnected2 on failed:

VBoxManage.exe: error: Code E_FAIL (0x80004005) - Unspecified error (extended info not available)

VBoxManage.exe: error: Context: "LockMachine(a->session, LockType_Write)" at line 507 of file VBoxManageModifyVM.cpp

Error checking TLS connection: Host is not running

Could not detect the docker machine environment.

Please ensure that docker is installed and running.

Press any key to continue . . .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi shouvik1984,

Thanks for trying our suggestion, we just wanted to make sure that Docker is the issue. Please let us continue investigating, in order to look for a solution to your issue.

Have a great day!

Best Regards,

-Jose P.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi shouvik1984,

I installed ISS from scratch, installed Docker for Windows and everything was successfully installed. When creating a new project I got the same error message that you reported (see the screenshot below). I was able to fix it by giving proper access to Docker to the C:\ drive. In order to do this, please check the following guide: https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/705839# launch IoT - Installing the Intel® System Studio IoT Edition on Windows* | Intel® Software (Please check the section Running the IDE>If you have installed Docker for Windows).

We will be waiting for your results, have a great day!

Best Regards,

-Jose P.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi shouvik1984,

Were you able to try the steps that I suggested in last reply? Please let me know in order to assist you.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose P.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello Jose,

While trying to share C drive I am encountering a Firewall Blocking issue despite having an Inbound Rule for TCP Port open at port 445 for IP Address 10.0.75.1/2.

I am not sure how to rectify the firewall settings so that I can set up the Shared drive for Linux containers.

Warm Regards

Shouvik

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Shouvik,

I'm sorry to hear that you are still having issues with Docker for Windows. It seems that you followed the recommendation given in the Docker documentation, so it's strange that your Firewall is still blocking Docker. Are you sure that you don't have installed a third party firewall software?

In the meantime, I found these discussions that might be useful to you:

- https://github.com/docker/for-win/issues/114 Unable to Share C Drive · Issue # 114 · docker/for-win · GitHub

- https://github.com/docker/for-win/issues/355 Error: A firewall is blocking file Sharing between Windows and the containers · Issue # 355 · docker/for-win · GitHub

- http://stackoverflow.com/questions/42203488/settings-to-windows-firewall-to-allow-docker-for-windows... Settings to Windows Firewall to allow Docker for Windows to share drive - Stack Overflow

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose P.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Shouvik,

Were you able to disable the Firewall? Please let me know in order to assist you.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose P.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello Jose,

I tried the methods recommended across the three forum threads mentioned by you in earlier post. However I was not able to fix the issue.

Having said that I must also say that the setup was taking way longer hurting my actual work . So I reverted back to a Ubuntu 14.04 LTS environment so that I can invest more time in development activity. Though I will keep on investigating the Windows environment setup but will primarily use the Linux environment as you must the understand "the show must go on".

Thank you and appreciate your help. If you happen to fix the issue do let me know.

Best Regards

Shouvik

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Shouvik,

I completely understand your situation! If I were in your position, I would probably also look for a way to continue my work.

Still, if any questions come up, please don't hesitate to ask. We will be happy to help.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose P.
0 Kudos