Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CChri35
New Contributor II

Find corresponding Port tty* to COM Port X in Windows

Jump to solution

Hi!

I'm trying to realize a communication over the virtual COM Port of the Edison. On the Edison

im going to run a program that should receive the coommands sent over the virtual COM Port.

I have a windows tool which sends strings onto the COM Port that is named "Intel Edison virtual

COM Port".

But which on in the "/dev" dir is the correspondig one an how can I test it?

These are the devices:

root@edison:/dev# ls

autofs mmcblk0p6 tty12 tty54

block mmcblk0p7 tty13 tty55

char mmcblk0p8 tty14 tty56

console mmcblk0p9 tty15 tty57

cpu mmcblk0rpmb tty16 tty58

cpu_dma_latency mqueue tty17 tty59

disk net tty18 tty6

fd network_latency tty19 tty60

full network_throughput tty2 tty61

fuse null tty20 tty62

i2c-1 nvram tty21 tty63

i2c-2 port tty22 tty7

i2c-3 pti tty23 tty8

i2c-4 ptmx tty24 tty9

i2c-5 pts tty25 ttyGS0

i2c-6 ram0 tty26 ttyMFD0

i2c-7 ram1 tty27 ttyMFD1

iio:device0 ram10 tty28 ttyMFD2

iio:device1 ram11 tty29 ttyPTI0

initctl ram12 tty3 ttyPTI1

input ram13 tty30 ttymcu0

intel_sst_ctrl ram14 tty31 ttymcu1

kmem ram15 tty32 ttymcu2

kmsg ram2 tty33 uhid

log ram3 tty34 uinput

loop-control ram4 tty35 urandom

loop0 ram5 tty36 usbmon0

loop1 ram6 tty37 vcs

loop2 ram7 tty38 vcs1

loop3 ram8 tty39 vcs2

loop4 ram9 tty4 vcs3

loop5 random tty40 vcs4

loop6 rfkill tty41 vcs5

loop7 rtc tty42 vcs6

mcelog rtc0 tty43 vcsa

mem shm tty44 vcsa1

mid_ipc snd tty45 vcsa2

mmcblk0 spidev5.1 tty46 vcsa3

mmcblk0boot0 stderr tty47 vcsa4

mmcblk0boot1 stdin tty48 vcsa5

mmcblk0p1 stdout tty49 vcsa6

mmcblk0p10 tty tty5 vga_arbiter

mmcblk0p2 tty0 tty50 watchdog

mmcblk0p3 tty1 tty51 zero

mmcblk0p4 tty10 tty52

mmcblk0p5 tty11 tty53

Tags (1)
1 Solution
Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Christoph.P,

The device that you should be looking at is ttyGS0, this is the port corresponding to the Virtual COM. Now, to test it, you can send commands through the Arduino IDE, via the Serial console. In your Edison terminal enter the following:

cd /dev/

cat ttyGS0

Now, you can start writing on the Arduino Serial Monitor and you should see what you write in the Linux terminal.

If you want to write to the Linux terminal and receive the text to the Arduino Serial Monitor, enter the following:

echo "yourtext" > ttyGS0

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Christoph.P,

The device that you should be looking at is ttyGS0, this is the port corresponding to the Virtual COM. Now, to test it, you can send commands through the Arduino IDE, via the Serial console. In your Edison terminal enter the following:

cd /dev/

cat ttyGS0

Now, you can start writing on the Arduino Serial Monitor and you should see what you write in the Linux terminal.

If you want to write to the Linux terminal and receive the text to the Arduino Serial Monitor, enter the following:

echo "yourtext" > ttyGS0

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

View solution in original post

CChri35
New Contributor II

Ok! Thank's! But one more Problem! If I type echo "yourtext" > ttyGS0 into my Linux Console, the Text always appears in the

Arduino IDE Console. But when I do a cat ttyGS0, the entered text not alway appears in the Linux console. It seems that the

the direction [arduino IDE] > [Linux Console @ Edison] is refused somehow.

Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Christoph.P,

That's weird, I'm not getting that behavior. I can see everything I enter in the Arduino Serial console after doing cat ttyGS0. Is your Edison running an Arduino sketch at the moment? It's possible that something is interfering with the port communication.

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

CChri35
New Contributor II

No. I'm not running a sketch. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact, that some programs (Eclipse, Aurduino IDE) don't start when the Edison is connected over

USB and the Ethernet connection is active. It's a little bit weird.. It seems that the ethernet connection of the Edison blocks some low-level Windows acitvities. E.g.

the Windows Task manager does not show anything, when the Edison is conected and I open the Task manager. When I disconnect the Edison it seems that all tasks

are continued (the task manager is populated, eclipse starts instantly and so on).

And the Arduino IDE often says that there is nothing connected to COM1 although the windows device manager tells me the the edison is connected on COM1.

CChri35
New Contributor II

Seem that the serial connection is refused somehow. I will open a new thread for it,

because it seems to be an separated problem..