Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

First IoT Project ever

so guys my name ikhsan rino wijaya. i'm working on my undergraduate thesis right now. my thesis is about IoT. i want to make oximetry monitoring device using Intel Gallileo Gen 2 that can be monitored from website . so after i get the measurement of oximetry i want to send it to localhost web using internet connection automatically using iot principal. my question is , is this possible to do ? if possible what will i need ? so far i just prepare Intel Xdk, XAMPP and sublime for my project? is this enough ? . and then if it's not possible what that should i do ? your help means a a lot for me guys. thanks anyway

26 Replies
FTinetti
Honored Contributor I

Hi ikhsanwijaya,

I think the first technical detail you should verify is whether the sensor you are going to use can be handled by Galileo. Details such as the web configuration is relatively easy, and will depend on the application complexity you are planning (e.g if that's a single page, you can handle web requests in the Galileo itself you do not need a computer).

HTH,

Fernando.

idata
Community Manager

hi fernando thanks for commenting my post, you are the only one who comment my post. i'm gonna gallileo just to control LED and infrared so that both of them can active alternately every 2ms and will be detected by photodiode. is it possibile doing that thing with gallileo using intel xdk ?

- i will put the voltage from photodiode in to analog pin, to process the data, then display the result in LCD and send the result to the web too.

- ya it's only single web, maybe only a little bit interface, the important thing is ,my data can be displayed on the web continuously.

-what do you think ? what kind application should i have to do my project ?

sorry if it's too long or there's something u can't understand,becaus i'm totally beginner hehe.

thank you very much FGT

FTinetti
Honored Contributor I

Hi ikhsanwijaya

ikhsanwijaya wrote:

hi fernando thanks for commenting my post, you are the only one who comment my post. i'm gonna gallileo just to control LED and infrared so that both of them can active alternately every 2ms and will be detected by photodiode. is it possibile doing that thing with gallileo using intel xdk ?

- i will put the voltage from photodiode in to analog pin, to process the data, then display the result in LCD and send the result to the web too.

- ya it's only single web, maybe only a little bit interface, the important thing is ,my data can be displayed on the web continuously.

-what do you think ? what kind application should i have to do my project ?

sorry if it's too long or there's something u can't understand,becaus i'm totally beginner hehe.

thank you very much FGT

I mostly develop my applications using the Arduino IDE, so I will not be able to help too much in the XDK area. Maybe Intel people would be able on this.

No doubt you will be able to control a LED using Intel Galileo - XDK.

Controlling an infrared and a photodiode will depend on the specific modules you'll use, i.e. how those devices need to be controlled. Controlling and/or interfacing modules with real-time constraints will be hard to achieve in Intel Galileo, because yocto is not a real time OS and Intel Galileo I/O is not a fast one.

Simple web systems are easy to develop and maintain in Intel Galileo. I've made several using Arduino sketches, and I've posted some ideas at

I've made some other simple web "systems" using direcly python (which is provided in yocto for SD), including some (simple) CGI processing. I think it should be the same using XDK, or maybe easier, due to the strong relationship between SDK and node. I don't know the specific details because as I "warned" above, I'm not an XDK developer.

HTH,

Fernando.

idata
Community Manager

i mean i'm not gonna control the led, infrared and photodiode continuously , just sending the value that i get from photodiode continuously to web, is it still possible ?

btw thanks a lot for your help , i really appreciate it . sorry maybe my question seems very unimportant or maybe too dumb. hehe FGT

FTinetti
Honored Contributor I

btw thanks a lot for your help , i really appreciate it . sorry maybe my question seems very unimportant or maybe too dumb. hehe FGT

You're welcome. I don't think those are dumb questions.

i mean i'm not gonna control the led, infrared and photodiode continuously , just sending the value that i get from photodiode continuously to web, is it still possible ?

I was trying to explain that if you are able to control each one separately, then I don't think controlling all of them and having a simple web interface would be a problem. However, I do not know about infrared and photodiode control issues. I do not have experience with those devices and I don't have experience with XDK development. Do you have specific infrared and photodiode device models in mind?

Fernando.

idata
Community Manager

this is the design of sensor that i'm going make, and the other one is the block diagram about what i'm going to do. based on that block diagram i will control the timing of infrared and red LED then it will detected by photodiode. nah my idea is , i want to send the value that i get from signal processing to web continuously

if i programmed it with Arduino IDE, it's going to be easier or more difficult ?

FGT

FTinetti
Honored Contributor I

ikhsanwijaya wrote:

this is the design of sensor that i'm going make, and the other one is the block diagram about what i'm going to do. based on that block diagram i will control the timing of infrared and red LED then it will detected by photodiode. nah my idea is , i want to send the value that i get from signal processing to web continuously

if i programmed it with Arduino IDE, it's going to be easier or more difficult ?

FGT

I/O: Take into account Galileo limits. You can find some comments on digital pins at . I don't remember about analog readings max. frequency.

The Intel Galileo processing speed and web subsystem wouldn't be a problem.

I don't know if programming in the Arduino IDE would be easier, I know it would be easier for me, because I've worked in the Arduino IDE and I've made just a few experiments with/in XDK.

HTH,

Fernando.

idata
Community Manager

FGT hi fernando it's me again, i want ask about the installation of galileo board on my pc. if i want to develop the galileo with intel XDK , is the installation the same with developing it with arduino ? if both are difference could show me where can i find the step of installing galileo for XDK. thank you very much.

idata
Community Manager

FGT if don't mind i want to ask again . btw just ignore my last question because i already install galileo in my comp.

my question is about developing IoT and galilei using Arduino IDE. my friend told me that if develop galileo using arduino ide , everytime i plug the supply off ,the code will disappear, then i have to reprogram it. i already try it , i upload blink examples to galileo and then plug the supply off, after i put the supply back the LED wasn't blinking anymore. so if have solution for this case ? thank you very much

FTinetti
Honored Contributor I

Hi ikhsanwijaya,

ikhsanwijaya wrote:

FGT if don't mind i want to ask again . btw just ignore my last question because i already install galileo in my comp.

my question is about developing IoT and galilei using Arduino IDE. my friend told me that if develop galileo using arduino ide , everytime i plug the supply off ,the code will disappear, then i have to reprogram it. i already try it , i upload blink examples to galileo and then plug the supply off, after i put the supply back the LED wasn't blinking anymore. so if have solution for this case ? thank you very much

Don't mind asking, it's the way we learn.

Intel Galileo handles persistency by means of using a micro SD card. And it's regardless the IDE or the way you develop your applications, i.e. if you want your application to be persistent in Intel Galileo (thus aviding to have to reprogram everytime you power on) you should use a micro SD card. Actually, at https://software.intel.com/en-us/get-started-galileo-windows IoT - Getting Started with the Intel® Galileo Board on Windows* | Intel® Software you'll find

Here is a list of all the requirements you'll need in order to assemble and set up either your Gen 1 or Gen 2 board:

• A micro-SD card. The card must be at least 2 GB and can be up to 32 GB

And you should follow https://software.intel.com/en-us/get-started-galileo-windows-step1 IoT - Step 1: Make a bootable micro SD card | Intel® Software in order to use a micro SD in Intel Galileo (again, regardless the IDE or the way you develop your applications).

HTH,

Fernando.

idata
Community Manager

@FGT hi fernando it's me again ,now i want to ask about esp8266 wireless module, is that compatible with my galileo? Can my galileo connect to the wifi by using esp8266?thank you , btw your answer in this thread really really help my project, since the first one. I dont know how many times ive been thanking you hehe.

FTinetti
Honored Contributor I

Hi ikhsanwijaya,

You are welcome, I'm learning too.

ikhsanwijaya wrote:

@FGT hi fernando it's me again ,now i want to ask about esp8266 wireless module, is that compatible with my galileo? Can my galileo connect to the wifi by using esp8266?

Absolutely, take a look at for an initial example. What ESP8266 module do you have?

Fernando.

idata
Community Manager

mine is ESP -01 i think is it still compatible ? how about wifi module cc3000? i read your comment in other post that cc3000 will not work because it's not listed as Supported Arduino library . but i found a tutorial that used cc3000 in arduino and arduino ide. this the library that they used https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_CC3000_Library . what do you think ? FGT

FTinetti
Honored Contributor I

Hi ikhsanwijaya,

ikhsanwijaya wrote:

mine is ESP -01 i think is it still compatible ?

Yes, according to http://www.esp8266.com/wiki/doku.php?id=esp8266-module-family esp8266-module-family [ESP8266 Support WIKI] the ESP8288 model ESP-01 is exactly the one I used when In the example at

About

how about wifi module cc3000? i read your comment in other post that cc3000 will not work because it's not listed as Supported Arduino library . but i found a tutorial that used cc3000 in arduino and arduino ide. this the library that they used https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_CC3000_Library https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_CC3000_Library . what do you think ?

The Intel Galileo supported Arduino libraries are those that are known to work in Galileo, and I think (given the name of the Intel technical report) they are supported by Intel staff. It does not matter how many libraries and modules are known to work in Arduino/Arduino cards, if they are not listed as Intel Galileo supported Arduino libraries the most likely is that they are not going to work in the Intel Galileo card.

Fernando.

idata
Community Manager

oke fernando i will use esp8266 then thank you very much form your infromation.

another question i just tried to boot my sd card and follow all the steps on https://software.intel.com/en-us/get-started-galileo-windows-step1 IoT - Step 1: Make a bootable micro SD card | Intel® Software . it should be my card contain

• boot
  • firmware
  • win-driver
  • bzImage

but after the process complete i only got boot and bz image. so can you explain to me what actually happen ? thank you very much FGT

idata
Community Manager

FGT hi i find this post i should downloadsome previous .direct file ... iot-devkit-201510010757-mmcblkp0-galileo.direct and it worked (not completely for Arduino sketches, though) .

another question is can i write my micro sd once again ? or i have to buy the new one ?

(edited)

i already write the sd card with iot-devkit-201510010757-mmcblkp0-galileo.direct and already contain 4 components that it should. but and then i insert it to my galileo and try to upload blink example in to it. after that i try to plug off the power and my galileo wasn't blinking anymore. what do you think ? do i make a mistake? or there is another step i should do? thank you for your help, it means a lot to me

FTinetti
Honored Contributor I

Hmmm... please explain a little bit more so that when I get my Galileo I would be able to check...

Please take into account that documentation is misleading/erroneous on SD contents (it's been reported previously in another thread).

HTH,

Fernando.

idata
Community Manager

FGT hi fernando . the galileo already able to keep the program thank you very much . but i want to ask something again

so, when i plug both the supply and the usb, the galileo can remember the program i uploaded before. but when i just plug the power, without usb cable .it can't remember the program i uploaded before anymore. is it normal ? or is there something that i can do so that my galileo can remember the program jusy by plugging the power? thank you

FTinetti
Honored Contributor I

ikhsanwijaya wrote:

FGT hi fernando ...

so, when i plug both the supply and the usb, the galileo can remember the program i uploaded before. but when i just plug the power, without usb cable .it can't remember the program i uploaded before anymore. is it normal ?

No, the sketch is run from the beginning... However, if the sketch is expecting some input from Serial, then it will wait forever. You may include some blinking in the sketch so that you'll see the sketch is "up & running".

ikhsanwijaya wrote:

FGT hi fernando . ...

is there something that i can do so that my galileo can remember the program jusy by plugging the power?

Again, no...

Maybe the best now is that you open another thread on this specific issue, including the sketch (or a reduced version of the sketch with the wrong behavior... sometimes, narrowing down the sketch you'll find the problem).

HTH,

Fernando.

idata
Community Manager

FGT hi fernando it's me again. So i want to ask about the difference galileo and arduino. I am wondering what is the difference of making iot project using arduino and galileo?is there any advantages of using galileo in making iot project instead of arduino?