Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JHoff6
Valued Contributor II

First generation Compute Stick - To upgrade or not to upgrade

I've been following several of the threads on the Compute Stick with regard to upgrading to Windows 10. From what I can tell it's possible but risky. I've read some folks who've been able to just do the regular upgrade from Microsoft, others who've had to jump through lots of hoops, some who've wrecked it and had to start over, and still others who've gotten to an unrecoverable point.

I was content to just stick with Windows 8.1 on mine until the issues were worked out, but yesterday I read that Microsoft has announced the free Windows 10 upgrade is ending in July.

So I'm looking for recommendations on whether it's worth attempting the upgrade, or am I at risk of making a very light paperweight? I have the first generation Compute Stick (STCK1A32WFC).

Thanks!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The biggest problem is that Microsoft has a bug and, if you attempt to upgrade with a uSD installed, you are going to be in trouble. Second, before starting the upgrade, make sure you maximize the free space available on the internal flash. Third (though I am not sure it actually makes a difference), make sure your Windows 8.1 is fully up to date before you start.

I had upgraded mine to Windows 8.1 Pro, hoping to use Windows Media Center with my Ceton Network-based TV Tuner box (which didn't work because Ceton only supports 64-bit ) and then up to Windows 10. I saw no issues during the upgrade. I was patient (unlike many I have ready about) and let it take its time doing the upgrade. It eventually finished without issue...

...S

JHoff6
Valued Contributor II

Awesome Scott, thanks as always for the advice. I suppose I should just bite the bullet and make the attempt. I'm glad you mentioned about the micro SD card, because I do have one installed and I wouldn't have thought to remove it first.

Thanks!

idata
Community Manager

Hi JasonNUC,

I have been checking this thread and I was wondering if you were able to upgrade your Intel® Compute Stick successfully.

Regards,

Hellen.

JHoff6
Valued Contributor II

I haven't made the attempt yet. I'll try this weekend and report back here.

idata
Community Manager

JHoff6
Valued Contributor II

Hellen and Scott,

I'm happy to report the upgrade went off without a hitch. I followed Hellen's instructions and took Scott's advice about pulling the SD card and cleaning up space. I had no issues and everything went smoothly. It took just under 4 hours to complete, but in the end I got to where I needed to be.

One strange thing (and this may be a Microsoft thing): After the upgrade I had two icons on my desktop labeled "Korea Media Player Center" and "Korea Messenger". I don't speak Korean, so I'm not sure why I have them, but I'm not going to click on them!

Thanks for your help and advice!

Jason

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I saw these icons as well - and blamed Microsoft. I just deleted them and moved on...

...S

JHoff6
Valued Contributor II

I just did a quick Google search on them...apparently it's been happening to lots of people for a while now. No biggie. I deleted them as well.

idata
Community Manager

Hi JasonNUC,

Thanks for the replay telling us your experience, grate to know that it helps you; if there is anything else you need, do not hesitate to contact us back.

Regards,

Hellen.

DBake4
Beginner

I have successfully upgraded my 1st gen ICS to Windows 10 after following some tips I found elsewhere on this forum.

1. Update the BIOS to latest version (07 at time of posting) the install won't work unless you do this first !

2. Pre configure a USB memory stick from a Win 10 ISO selecting "MBR partition scheme for UEFI" mode in RUFUS (https://rufus.akeo.ie/ Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way ) unless the memory stick is configured to use UEFI it won't be recognised by the ICS !

3. Download and unzip all the Win 10 drivers from the Intel site onto the same USB Memory stick you prepared in (2) above.

4. Boot ICS from Win 10 memory stick and select update or Fresh (Custom) install. (I ended up doing a fresh install due to the fact that I did not initially update the BIOS !)

5. Now it does not get stuck at "Getting files ready to install 0%) and completes without any issues.

6. As the Win MAC Key is imbedded in the BIOS you don't have to worry about activating Windows, it is done automatically.

Just to confirm my ICS was a 1st gen version that had the can't load most apps issue.

Regards, Dave.

idata
Community Manager

Hi Dave-G6HNI,

Great to know; thanks also for sharing these steps with us, this would help more people.

Regards,

Hellen.