cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LCama1
Novice

Galileo Gen 2 does not boot anymore

Hello all,

I have a problem with my Galileo Gen 2 board. It suddenly stopped booting from both the firmware and SD card. Whenever I plug in the power, the USB led lights up and then immediately fades for about half a second, and this loops forever, with a period of about one second. Plugging and unplugging the SD card does not seem to do anything. Has anyone experienced this? Does this mean my board has gone caput? What next?

Thanks in advance,

Lucas Camargo

8 Replies
FTinetti
Honored Contributor I

Hi Lucas,

Do not use the SD and do not plug USB cable for boot checking. If you have another power source provided by Intel, then use it (remember: no SD, no USB plugged in). The problem seems to be more related to power than booting...

HTH,

Fernando.

LCama1
Novice

That is the case now. Turning it on with the provided power source and nothing else attached still gives me a blinking USB led, in what seems to be an infinite reboot loop.

FTinetti
Honored Contributor I

if you get another power source you would be able to verify whether the problem is the power source or the card itself

Fernando.

LCama1
Novice

Tried another power source, and the problem remains. Conversely, I tested the original power source (with other equipment) and it works just fine.

The problem seems to be in the board itself.

idata
Community Manager

Hi Lucas,

I would like to know the output you have on Putty/Screen while trying to have access to the Terminal, do you get an error message or it is just a blank screen?

Is there something that you think may have caused this behavior? Maybe a current peak or a related problem?

In order to completely discard a problem with the firmware, I suggest you to try the following methods:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24748/eng/IntelGalileoFirmwareUpdaterUserGuide-1.0.4.pdf Intel® Galileo Firmware Updater Tool

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-galileo-boards/000006378.html Recovery Mode for Intel® Galileo Board

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-galileo-boards/000006449.html How to Fix a Bricked or Unresponsive Intel® Galileo Board > Dediprog required

/docs/DOC-23880 Programming SPI Flash through the UEFI Internal Shell

Please let me know if you do not receive a response from the Terminal Console of the board.

Regards,

Charlie

LCama1
Novice

Hello,

The firmware updater tool does not work, because the board does not even register itself as a USB device anymore.

I tried to follow the instructions to access Recovery Mode but those seem to be tailored for Gen 1. Is there a User Guide for Gen 2 with the same information?

Will simply plugging a usb to rs232 on the header to the right of the ethernet jack suffice?

Edit: I don't think there was a current peak or something like that. All I plugged in the headers was a couple of LEDs, protected by 1k resistors.

Lucas

idata
Community Manager

Hi Lucas,

The methods are the same for the Galileo Gen1 and Gen2.

I'm not sure of what you would like to try by "plugging a usb to rs232 on the header to the right of the ethernet jack suffice", is this for have access to the Terminal Consoled through the FTDI port?

Regards,

Charlie

idata
Community Manager

Hi Lucas,

Have you been able to run the recovery methods? Do you still have issues with your board?

Regards,

-Charlie