Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FSimp1
Beginner

Graphics driver on STCK1A32WFC - Windows 10

I can see a few posts about similar things, but the suggestion to use the Windows 10 update utility to solve the issue hasn't worked for me.

As others have, I went to the Intel website, to the STCK1A32WFC support page, downloaded the latest driver (GFX_Win8.1_10_32_15.33.42.4358) for Windows 10 - 32bit and tried installing and got the error that "this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software".

I've tried resetting the computestick back to factory defaults and tried starting again, but it's still the same. The display adaptor section in Device manager doesn't even show up. I can go to the display adaptor section via the control panel (display adaptor properties) and it just reports as Microsoft Basic display driver.

There are no Windows updates available as the machine is totally up to date.......... so bloody confused as to where to from here ! Would be easier if Intel just had a display driver that would install properly as normal.....

0 Kudos
17 Replies
idata
Community Manager

F1RACR, Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Compute Stick communities.

Even though you mentioned you already tried to install the driver 4358 and it did not work, now the next thing to do is to try to install the driver manually, on the links below you will find the driver and the instructions of how do that:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html

Driver 4358:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25647/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Intel-Compute-Stick-STC... https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25647/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Intel-Compute-Stick-STC...

If the problem remains after that, another thing to try will be a BIOS update to the latest version and then to try to install the driver again, on the following links you will get the instructions to do it and the .BIO file needed, 0035:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-compute-stick/000006039.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-compute-stick/000006039.html

.BIO file 0035:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26540/BIOS-Update-FCBYT10H-86A-?product=86612 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26540/BIOS-Update-FCBYT10H-86A-?product=86612

Please let me know the results of trying the steps above.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto
FSimp1
Beginner

Hi there,

Thanks.... I have already tried that but I did it again and took screen shots. One issue that I have that I did mention is that in device manager there is no "Display adaptors" section shown, but I could get to the same "driver update" button through another method so did that and pointed it to the drivers that were downloaded and unpacked, but I get the below results......

I already have the latest BIOS installed.

idata
Community Manager

Hi, F1RACR, Thank you very much for providing those pictures, we really appreciate that. It is really strange that the Intel® compute stick shows the message that the best driver is already installed and that it is not showing under device manager. What we can try now is to use the recovery method for Windows, not sure if this is the option you already tried, because the problem seems to be related to the registry, on the link below you will find the instructions of how to do it. Before you try that option, remember that the stick has 1 year of warranty, please make sure that it is under warranty, because the recovery in some cases might not work as expected, and if the stick is out of warranty but it is working fine, then we recommend to leave it as it is, since the graphics driver is installed is just that it is not showing:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-compute-stick/000005885.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-compute-stick/000005885.html

Please let me know the results.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto
FSimp1
Beginner

This is after I have done a full factory reset (deleting everything) and then just rebooted it and tried to install the driver.

I can't leave it like this as I have no audio on the TV it's plugged into as the display audio is part of the graphics driver install............. that's really what triggered this whole exercise more than the graphics driver itself.

The unit is older than 1 year so is out of warranty so that isn't going to be a help, but I think it's terrible that there isn't some way to be able to put a fresh image onto these devices if something goes wrong..........ie I should be able to go back to Windows 8 if I want........ there should be some kind of recovery process supplied by Intel for these devices............. other manufacturers do exactly that.

Now I'm stuck with some useless hardware.........

idata
Community Manager

F1RACR, Thank you very much for providing that information and let me apologize for any inconvenience. Another step we can try to fix the audio problem will be to re-install the system on a chip driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25311/Compute-Stick-System-on-a-Chip-SOC-Driver-Package-fo... https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25311/Compute-Stick-System-on-a-Chip-SOC-Driver-Package-fo...

Please let me know the results of trying that driver.

I sent you a private message, please check your inbox.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto

Regards,

Alberto
FSimp1
Beginner

Thanks for that. That has sorted the audio which was my major headache, but still frustrating I can't install the proper video driver, but it doesn't seem to cause me any issues playing video etc so I guess I'll leave it like that, but I still think Intel should supply recovery images so we can set the devices back to how they came out of the box if the on-board reset isn't recommended (based on your message).

Thanks for your help though getting audio going.

FSimp1
Beginner

Random, but true........just checked the device manager after installing the SOC the "display adaptors" section is showing and it has the Intel HD graphics !

idata
Community Manager

F1RACR, Perfect, thank you very much for letting us know that information, it is great to hear that now you can see the Intel® graphics driver installed on device manager. I hope that fixed the issue with the sound as well.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto
DeanG
New Contributor I

F1RACR wrote:

Random, but true........just checked the device manager after installing the SOC the "display adaptors" section is showing and it has the Intel HD graphics !

I'm posting my reply not to be critical, but to emphasize to everyone that stumbles across this thread, that installing the SoC drivers is CRITICAL to proper operation of the STK1AW32SC stick under Windows.

It's not "random". Without the SoC driver installed, Windows can't even "see" the graphics chip in order to detect the Intel Graphics chip and know which video driver to install.

FSimp1
Beginner

I meant "random" in that usually you can always see the "display adaptors" section with some kind of adaptor showing...........even if it's just the standard Microsoft adaptor.

DeanG
New Contributor I

Agreed! A week ago I did a clean install of the Creators Edition of Windows 10, and also noted that there was initially "no display adapter" at all in Device Manager. Having been through this before, I installed the SoC drivers, and upon reboot, there was the standard Microsoft "display adapter" in Device Manager. Shortly thereafter, Windows auto-installed an Intel HD driver before I got to do it manually.

FSimp1
Beginner

Yeah seems like that is the process that needs to be followed, but even Intel's on documentation doesn't suggest that if the display adaptors section isn't showing that you should reinstall the SOC software....... I've read quite a few threads from others that are having same or similar issues..........just glad it's sorted now and it was an easy fix in the end, I've just never seen the whole display adaptors section not be there before so I was a bit lost !

idata
Community Manager

F1RACR, Dean Gibson, Thank you very much for sharing those comments in our community, I am sure they will be very useful for all the peers viewing this thread.

Regards,

Alberto
Mitchell_R_Intel
Employee

Actually what you are seeing is normal if you don't install the SoC drivers very first in the install process. Just like on other boards, you install the INF drivers as the first install after Windows has been clean installed so the basic chipset can be set up. I have seen this many times on other products where the display adaptor does not appear until the INF files have been installed.

The order for most drivers to be installed is this:

1. INF chipset drivers.

2. RealTek Audio.

3. Wired LAN.

4. ME or TXE FW drivers.

5 All other drivers except Video.

6. Video Driver (which installs DP/HDMI Audio Driver).

This sequence works on 99% of all installs I've done for Windows.

Glad you finally got it working.

Thanks.

MrMitch...

idata
Community Manager

MrMitch, Thank you very much for sharing that information in our communities, we really appreciate that and it will be very helpful for all the peers on this thread as well.

Regards,

Alberto

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I made a couple of edits to Mitch's list to clarify things (see in red above).

Adding on to this, if you need to go through a reinstall process (for example, after O/S Upgrade process), note the following process:

1. Manually uninstall the Wireless LAN, Bluetooth and Consumer I/R drivers.
  2. Reboot the PC.
  3. Install all drivers following the same ordering listed above.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. Don't get me started regarding why Microsoft insists on releasing Windows 10 updates that install as O/S upgrades - and each one can/will mess with installed drivers and applications because of their (buggy!!!) upgrade manager...Grrrrr

DeanG
New Contributor I

I think I agree with Scott's order of install (in another thread) better:

1. Get all the drivers on a USB device before you start.
  2. Install Windows.
  3. Install the SoC drivers first. Technically, note that (despite the Windows menu item of "Install" for an INF file), you do not "install" an INF file. Rather, the INF file "directs" the install of (usually) other files and/or settings.
  4. Install the Graphics driver next.
  5. Install audio drivers (if not automatically installed in the previous step, as is common with HDMI graphics drivers).
  6. Install the Bluetooth and WiFi drivers last.

Why? Because:

1. If you give the device Internet access, it is virtually impossible to stop Windows from installing the video driver it wants to install. If you uninstall it, typically you then need to reboot, and before you can get control of the device again, Windows will (if it has Internet access) "help you" by reinstalling its choice again. To prevent this, get at least the chipset and Graphics driver on a USB stick first, OR download/copy them to the device after the install, and then delete all the choices Windows has made. The problem with this latter idea (download after install) is that you may not know what Windows has added, that you have to remove.
  2. Configuring the new Windows install and installing the remaining drivers, is easier when you have an appropriately sized screen with audio.

Finally, a "political" rant: Microsoft has some really talented and skilled software developers, in critical portions of Windows, like the filesystems, encryption, security, and other areas critical to Microsoft's reputation and success. However, as a (retired) systems and embedded software developer for over forty years, I think many of the remaining Microsoft developers are borderline incompetent.

I have not seen the problems that Scott has seen (I happen to think Windows 10 is a big improvement over Windows 7 in almost every area but the Start Menu), but I am tired of this pervasive and incessant "let me help you" software that substitutes for significant improvements.

It's not an attitude that is limited to software. Some of us remember the cartoon from fifty years ago, of an old lady hitting a Boy Scout with her cane, because he tried to help her cross the street, when she didn't want/need any help, thank you.

The desire to help is natural and very strong in most of us. If someone is incompetent in real software development, what's left for them is "let me help you" tinkering in the guise of real development. Meanwhile, real improvements go languishing for years, while the software is "dumbed down".

One example is the removal of the tree structure from Start Menu entries (which worked fine in Windows 2000 through Windows 7). Supposedly this was done to make the Start Menu more "user-friendly".

BS !!! What it really means is that you can't hide the "junk" apps.

I have lived within bicycling distance of Microsoft HQ for 24 years, but have never worked for them. However, I know a number of people that have (almost none who still do). Most current Microsoft developers seem to work in a cocoon of ideas, with little exposure to real people, aided only by "project managers" who make development decisions (eg, implementing the NTP protocol) based on their paychecks, rather than any long-term view. Management decisions are often adversarial between groups, and sometimes that is even overtly encouraged (eg, Visual Studio).

In my opinion, it's a wonder that Microsoft has survived.