cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hangs on boot process - Galileo Gen 2

Hi Community,

I've created an image for galileo gen 2 with BSP Sources for Intel Quark 1.2.1 (as far as I'm concern is the most recent BSP on Intel's site), and tried to boot it for the first time. The booting process hangs on this lines: (full boot message is attached)

[Linux-EFI, setup=0x10be, size=0x23ba00]

[Initrd, addr=0xd620000, size=0x34d526]

I saw a similar problem on this thread , the suggested solution was to update the board's firmware. I already updated both boards that I tested it to firmware 1.0.4.

My 8GB microsd directory looks like this:

boot -> grub -> grub.conf (attached in post)

bootia32.efi (tried with it and without...same output)

grub.efi (tried with it and without...same output)

image-full-quark.ext3

bzImage

core-image-minimal-initramfs-quark.cpio.gz

Can anybody help me, please?

Thanks

21 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi,

A similar question was posted last week. In the thread, the user has also made a custom image based on the newest BSP and also has problems at boot. The solution was to configure the grub menu file correctly.

Take a look at /message/384205# 384205 https://communities.intel.com/message/384205# 384205

Sergio

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hi Sergio,

I saw this post earlier today and my grub.conf file looks exactly the same as posted. Do you have any other suggestion?

Best,

Paula
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Did you see any errors while building the image, if so, which ones? What sections on the BSP did you follow? If you notice section 5 there's a section related to building the grub, was this section completed successfully?

Sergio

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hi Sergio,

I used BSP 1.2.1 following this guide http://www.malinov.com/Home/sergey-s-blog/intelgalileo-buildinglinuximage Intel Galileo - Building Linux Image - Malinov Family Web Presence. I had to modify the bblayers.conf file to include meta's related to the board and iot-devkit. I saved my current session when I build the image (attached).

I did get some errors but I solved them editing local.conf and bblayers.conf files. The only step I executed different from the tutorial was running bitbake -c fetchall image-full and bitbake -f -c deploy image-full before running bitbake image-full

Should I try to recompile the kernel using BSP guide? And if so, is section 5 necessary to the build?

Thank you for your time.

Best,

Paula

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Yes, the recommended thing to do when building a custom image is to follow the guidelines of the BSP. You can look at the Quark BSP 1.2.1 http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/products/quark/quark-x1000-bsp-build-sw-rel-user-gui... http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/products/quark/quark-x1000-bsp-build-sw-rel-user-gui... for the steps to build the Galileo image. Section 5 is not always necessary, I asked in case you followed those steps and made changes. In case you didn't just try again but using the Quark BSP.

Let us know your results.

Sergio

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hi Sergio,

I tried following the BSP tutorial but got an error as soon as I ran bitbake command.

ERROR: Layer 'networking-layer' depends on layer 'meta-python', but this layer is not enabled in your configuration

Summary: There was 1 ERROR message shown, returning a non-zero exit code.

I did not find meta-python in my folder.... What should I do?

Thanks for your patience

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

What OS are you using to build the image? Look at section 1.3.1 of http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.8/ref-manual/ref-manual.html# detailed-supported-distros http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.8/ref-manual/ref-manual.html# detailed-supported-distros and make sure you're building on a supported distribution.

Sergio

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hi Sergio,

I build the image using Ubuntu 15.04.

About the meta-python problem, I git clone it to the correct directory and add it to my conf/bblayers.conf file (along with meta-oe). My build finished with 14 warnings, but no errors. I'll copy the image files to a microsd and test it later.

One strange thing that happens a lot, is when I try to cp the boot directory to my sdcard the subfolder (grub) does not persist after I eject and reconnect the card. Is this normal? Or a sign that something went wrong?

Thanks.

Paula

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

UPDATE

I booted my galileo gen 2 and I got grub prompt with the message Error 15: File not found. I really don`t know what to do...I've followed the steps on BSP guide and all needed files are in the correct place on my sdcard.

Files on my sdcard:

- boot (directory) -> /boot/grub/grub.conf

- bzImage.bin

- grub.efi

- image-full-quark.ext3

- core-image-minimal-initramfs-quark.cpio.gz

My grub.conf, contains:

default 2

timeout 5

color white/blue white/cyan

title Quark X1000 kernel-SPI initrd-SPI IMR-On IO-APIC/HPET NoEMU

kernel --spi root=/dev/ram0 console=ttyS1,115200n8 earlycon=uart8250,mmio32,$EARLY_CON_ADDR_REPLACE,115200n8 reboot=efi,warm apic=debug rw

initrd --spi

title Quark X1000 kernel-MassStorage iot-devkit on SD IMR-On IO-APIC/HPET NoEMU debug

root (hd0,0)

kernel /bzImage root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootwait console=ttyS1,115200n8 earlycon=uart8250,mmio32,$EARLY_CON_ADDR_REPLACE,115200n8 reboot=efi,warm apic=debug rw LABEL=boot debugshell=5

title Quark X1000 kernel-MassStorage initrd-MassStorage RootFS-MassStorage IMR-On IO-APIC/HPET NoEMU debug

root (hd0,0)

kernel /bzImage root=/dev/ram0 console=ttyS1,115200n8 earlycon=uart8250,mmio32,$EARLY_CON_ADDR_REPLACE,115200n8 reboot=efi,warm apic=debug rw LABEL=boot debugshell=5 rootimage=image-full-quark.ext3

initrd /core-image-minimal-initramfs-quark.cpio.gz

Please help

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

UPDATE 2

I changed bzImage.bin (as recommended in BSP guide) to bzImage .... now it doesn't throw Error 15. But now I'm back to my original problem, boot hanging on here:

[Linux-EFI, setup=0x10be, size=0x23b750]

[Initrd, addr=0xd620000, size=0x34d0a3]

If I wait a few seconds the first time this message appears, I get the following:

Reset due to access violation: 'IMR' . . .

What should I do?

Thanks for all your help

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Take a look at this thread /thread/59552 https://communities.intel.com/thread/59552 . It describes the same issue you're having and there's a solution posted to apply a patch for the BSP. Follow the suggestions on the thread and let me know your results.

Sergio

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hi Sergio,

I booted the image again and it doesn't throw the IMR violation message. Now I'm just getting the original error, but in the build following BSP guide.

[Initrd, addr=0x620000, size=0x34d0a3]

I checked the patch, shell script is coded for meta-clanton-v1.0.1 . I could adapt it (and probably will), but I don't know if is gonna help since I'm not getting the IMR error anymore.

Do you think this all could be related to my building machine being Ubuntu 15.04 (even the meta-python layer problem...solved with some git clones)?

Again, thank you so much for your time

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Yes, it might be related. Can you try to build using a different build machine from the list of supported Linux distributions from http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.8/ref-manual/ref-manual.html# detailed-supported-distros http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.8/ref-manual/ref-manual.html# detailed-supported-distros?

There's a note in the BSP that says "This release has been tested with Debian* Linux* 7.0 (Wheezy), so if possible, try with this approach and let me know your results.

Sergio

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hi Sergio,

I tried to rebuild in a Debian Wheezy machine and still got the warning just because I was using an updated version of Wheezy (7.1). After a few seconds bitbake throwed a fatal error (I was following the BSP guide), could not proceed with the build.

The strange thing is my images freezes at the same point, following or not the BSP guide.

[Initrd, addr=0xd620000, size=0x34d0a3]

I'll attempt later this week to rebuild using Ubuntu 12.04 64bit (as it seems many people have succeeded on this machine), do you think I'll have problems with it using BSP version 1.2.1 ?

Thank you,

Paula

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

The process shouldn't fail using BSP 1.2.1. Please let us know your results when building in Ubuntu 12.04.

Sergio

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hi Sergio,

New build using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, but same error as always. I really don't know what to do

I attached the boot log of my latest build and my grub.conf file, could you please take a look and tell me if there is something wrong?

Thank you.

Paula

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I successfully built and booted an image from quark BSP 1.2.1 without any modifications. Most likely the board is not booting due to a change you did. I would suggest you to build an image without any modifications and test to see if that boots.

Sergio

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hey Sergio,

I changed my build machine to a debian 7.10 and it worked!! The instructions on the guide are ok, but one required package is missing from that list, so I had to install it and rerun bitbake (gonna check the name and update my reply).

Just a couple of questions: my new image doesn`t have sketch persistency (the sketch folder with .ef files is present but the task doesn't start automatically). Is it normal?

I could not run blink sketch on most of the digital outputs. Just on pins 7 e 8. Is it something wrong with this image? (it was built without any errors)

Thanks,

Paula

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi PaulaK,

We are glad to hear you were able to build the image on a Debian machine. Also, we noticed you created a /thread/101788 new thread for the issues you are getting with this image. Thank you for creating a new thread for a new issue, we will continue to help you over the thread to avoid any duplication.

Regards,

Juan

0 Kudos