Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BScha8
Beginner

Hi! My m3 Compute Stick won't connect with WiFi "n" speed, whereas other machines in the house do without problems... can you help? Thanks!

Hi! My m3 Compute Stick won't connect with WiFi "n" speed, whereas other machines in the house do without problems... can you help? Thanks!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello islandmusicpro,

Could you please check if you have the latest wireless driver installed? This is the latest version available from our end; version 19.10 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26324/Intel-Wireless-Technology-Based-Driver-for-Intel-Com... Download Intel® Wireless Technology-Based Driver for Intel® Compute Stick STK2M3W64CC.

Regards,

Amy.

BScha8
Beginner

Hi Amy!

Just installed 19.10... No dice... :-(

Now what?

Thanks for your help! :-)

B.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

What is your definition of "n" speed? You cannot get above 300Mbps without also enabling and connecting on the 5GHz band.

BScha8
Beginner

Well, I tried both available bands and whatnot, but even drilling down into the adapter properties, all I can set is a, b or g... Is there a new firmware for the wireless, maybe? I'm on BIOS 044, btw...

ABeck6
Beginner

Try with the earliest possible driver, not the latest. I have the Atom x5-z8300 based stick, and wifi speed is very low using the latest drivers, and also projecting to the stick doesn't work. But with the oldest v17.xx driver I don't have any problems:

BScha8
Beginner

To the intel staff: I now have installed 19.20, still no WiFi-n. The stick also refuses to connect with 5Ghz. Is that wireless solution even capable of n-speeds/protocol?

Here's a screenshot:

Thanks,

Benji

idata
Community Manager

Please try uninstalling the current driver version installed from Programs and Features, see here on how to do it; http://www.drivethelife.com/windows-drivers/how-to-uninstall-remove-driver-on-windows-10-8-7-xp-vist... Top 3 Ways to Uninstall/Remove a Driver on Windows 10/8.1/8/7/XP/Vista | Driver Talent. Once uninstalled, try installing it one more time https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26346/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windo... Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10.

The content on the above site is not controlled by Intel. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel for the merchants or services offered there.

Regards,

Amy.

BScha8
Beginner

Hey Amy,

thanks for getting back to me, unfortunately it didn't work... :-(

Any other ideas? The adapter DOES speak "n", right? :-)

Cheers,

Benji

n_scott_pearson

Hhmmm, you are definitely getting different results from what I am. Here is the NETSH output for my m3 CC. Specifically note the radio types supported:

Interface name: Wi-Fi 2

Driver : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260

Vendor : Intel Corporation

Provider : Intel

Date : 9/7/2016

Version : 19.20.0.6

INF file : ????

Type : Native Wi-Fi Driver

Radio types supported : 802.11b 802.11g 802.11n 802.11a 802.11ac

FIPS 140-2 mode supported : Yes

802.11w Management Frame Protection supported : Yes

Hosted network supported : No

Authentication and cipher supported in infrastructure mode:

Open None

Open WEP-40bit

Open WEP-104bit

Open WEP

WPA-Enterprise TKIP

WPA-Enterprise CCMP

WPA-Personal TKIP

WPA-Personal CCMP

WPA2-Enterprise TKIP

WPA2-Enterprise CCMP

WPA2-Personal TKIP

WPA2-Personal CCMP

Open Vendor defined

Vendor defined Vendor defined

IHV service present : Yes

IHV adapter OUI : [00 80 86], type: [00]

IHV extensibility DLL path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\IWMSSvc.dll

IHV UI extensibility ClSID: {1bf6cb2d-2ae0-4879-a7aa-a75834fbd0e3}

IHV diagnostics CLSID : {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

Wireless Display Supported: Yes (Graphics Driver: Yes, Wi-Fi Driver: Yes)

It is not clear to me why the differences would appear. I wonder if it may be some sort of incompatibility with your router? (Yea, that makes no sense to me but,...)

Do you have a location where you can test with a different router? I am testing with D-Link Dir-865L Wireless-AC 1750 and Linksys EA6900 Wireless-AC 1900 routers.

...S

n_scott_pearson

Oh, I would also add that I have used various versions of the software package (17, 18 and 19) and see similar performance with all versions (my FIOS connection remains my biggest bottleneck). Here's my results from Google's Internet Speed Test:

(Yes, it *is* bizarre that I get better upload speeds than download)...

...S

BScha8
Beginner

Well,

I live in the boonies and can only dream of speeds like those, but I need the "n" to work for my home network...

Can somebody from Intel PLEASE comment on those NETSH reports?

Thanks,

B.

idata
Community Manager

This my report from the http://ark.intel.com/products/91980/Intel-Compute-Stick-STK2m3W64CC?q=Intel%C2%AE%20Compute%20Stick%... Intel® Compute Stick STK2m3W64CC Specifications;

n speed is there.

At this stage, I would recommend restoring the operating system, and if the issue persists the next step would be replacing the unit. You can replace the by getting in contact with our phone or chat support for a faster interaction, see here for the contact information http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html Contact Support.

Regards,

Amy.