cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BHurt
Novice

How can I install postgresql??

Jump to solution

Hello everyone! I try to install postgresql on my intel edison. but I haven't found information on internet about it. Have you tried to do it? Thank you to everyone

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BHurt
Novice

Thank you so much for your responses, I finally got it.

I downloaded the source code from here:

ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/source/v9.3.2/postgresql-9.3.2.tar.bz2 ftp.postgresql.org/pub/source/v9.3.2/postgresql-9.3.2.tar.bz2with wget

first I did ./configure

next I did "make" but threw error, so I did "make clean", and that was the solution

next make install

Once the postgres was installed i went to installation folder and did

initdb -D /some/folder/for/your/bds

and that was all. I was able to use psql, that is the tool for using postgres command promt

Pd. you need an user named "postgres" to run psql

Thanx again for your responces

View solution in original post

8 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello Baltazar,

Thank you for your interest in our Intel products.

What OS are you running on Edison?

You can find steps to install the program in the following link depending on what OS you are using:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Detailed_installation_guides

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Octavian
BHurt
Novice

Hello, thank you for your response, I'm using Poky (Yocto Project Reference Distro) 1.7.2

idata
Community Manager

Hello Baltazar,

Thank you for the information.

Has the article I provided you helped you with the installation?

Regards,

Octavian
BHurt
Novice

Not so much, some links were broken. I tried to compile and install but didn't work.

Could I install it by opkg???

Thank you for your response .

idata
Community Manager

Hello Baltazar,

It is possible it could through opkg though we haven't tested it yet.

I found a tutorial here on how to do so: https://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-Linux-Real-Time-Documents/Tutorial-PostgreSQL-with-LabVIEW/ta-p/3491581

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Octavian
FerryT
Valued Contributor I

There is large opkg repository for edison here: Unfortunately it does not include postgresql.

Postgresql is supplied by the yocto project, so if you build your image from source you only need to add postgresql to your list of packages to be installed.

Building from scratch is becoming more difficult as yocto downloads sources from urls that might be broken by now. An effort to get images that build is here:https://github.com/htot/meta-intel-edison GitHub - htot/meta-intel-edison: Here is the meta-intel-edison that builds, tries to stay up to date and provides a PREE…

All effort here is now aimed at building using a current yocto version (currently pyro), with current vanilla u-boot (currently 2018.01) and linux kernel (currently 4.14) with minimal amount of specific patches. Next steps, providing acpi tables to the kernel from u-boot and switching to rocko.

BHurt
Novice

Thank you so much for your responses, I finally got it.

I downloaded the source code from here:

ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/source/v9.3.2/postgresql-9.3.2.tar.bz2 ftp.postgresql.org/pub/source/v9.3.2/postgresql-9.3.2.tar.bz2with wget

first I did ./configure

next I did "make" but threw error, so I did "make clean", and that was the solution

next make install

Once the postgres was installed i went to installation folder and did

initdb -D /some/folder/for/your/bds

and that was all. I was able to use psql, that is the tool for using postgres command promt

Pd. you need an user named "postgres" to run psql

Thanx again for your responces

View solution in original post

FerryT
Valued Contributor I

That is exactly what Yocto would be doing for you: download, configure, build, package, install.

Compared to manually doing the same, Yocto takes care of dependencies, builds it's own compiler to create a reproducible environment and packages the result. The resulting packages (opkg by default, dpkg in my case) can then be installed on the system image or manually on the Edison using the package manager.