cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

How can I use floating point unit(FPU) in edison when using Arduino IDE

Jump to solution

My project requires fast floating point calculations. (such as trigonometric functions)

I want to use Intel Edison for this project, and I prefer Arduino IDE as programming Interface.

But I wonder if I can use Edison's FPU when I use arduino IDE.

Is FPU automatically used when I program edison on arduino IDE?

If not, how can I use it?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Employee

Hello electroid,

You can use the float data type to perform calculations using float point numbers. I'm not sure if that is what you wanted to know. I recommend you to check the following article written by SparkFun. There are test results for different calculations and different data types using an Arduino UNO: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/data-types-in-arduino Data Types in Arduino

If you check that article, you will see a test result for a divide operation with float point numbers. According to that test, it took 32us to be done. I did the same test with Edison and it took 4us, which is 8 times faster.

I hope this information helps you.

Regards,

Diego.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
Employee

Hello electroid,

You can use the float data type to perform calculations using float point numbers. I'm not sure if that is what you wanted to know. I recommend you to check the following article written by SparkFun. There are test results for different calculations and different data types using an Arduino UNO: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/data-types-in-arduino Data Types in Arduino

If you check that article, you will see a test result for a divide operation with float point numbers. According to that test, it took 32us to be done. I did the same test with Edison and it took 4us, which is 8 times faster.

I hope this information helps you.

Regards,

Diego.

View solution in original post