cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

How do I correct UART transmission issue

Hi Intel,

I connect the intel edison board to a sim with uart and I get issues with any speed value from 9600 to 115200.

I received the answer perfectly but it seems that sending caracters may occurs issues.

OK

a▒e▒▒a▒

OK

▒t

OK

aat

OK

▒▒

OK

sometimes, when I click enter nothing happen

Do you know how i can correct this?

Note: That I get this issue on 3 board and two sim .

Thank you

Paul

0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel Edison Platform.

I have a couple of questions before we start looking for a solution to your issue:

1) When you mean that you are using a "sim", you mean that you are using a SIM card right?

2) If you are using a SIM card, how are you communicating to it by UART with your Edison?

I will be waiting for your reply, have a nice day.

Best Regards,

-Jose.
idata
Community Manager

Hi Jose,

When I mean a sim, I mean a simcom module (the sim 800 for example:http://simcomm2m.com/En/module/detail.aspx?id=138 SIM800 ).

The simCom Module has an uart input that I connect directly with the sparkfun uart module (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13040 SparkFun Block for Intel® Edison - UART - DEV-13040 - SparkFun Electronics )

The system was test on raspberry Pi without any issue.

It test on two edison modules and I have the same issues.

Paul

idata
Community Manager

Hi Paul,

I have just checked this document http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000020775.html Shield Testing Report for Intel® Galileo Board, Intel® Galileo Gen 2... and there is a similar model the SIM900 (page 164), I would recommend to try the sample codes given in this document. Nevertheless if it still doesn't work it would be because we haven't validated this Shield with the Intel Edison. I hope you find this information useful.

Best Regards,

-Jose.
idata
Community Manager

Hi Jose,

Thank you for your information. Do you know how we could Validated a Shield with Intel Edison ?

Thank you

Paul

idata
Community Manager

Hi Paul,

The process to validate a Shield is just to being able to connect the sensor without any issue. As you know there a lot of sensors, not all are compatible with the Edison, it all depends in which interface you use to communicate to them. In your case if you are sending already characters, I would assume that there is a scripting issue related to your code, this why I recommended to check the sample codes in the document attached in my previous reply.

Best regards,

-Jose.
idata
Community Manager

Hi Jose.

I do any code it just the result when I use

>screen /dev/ ... 115200

This is why it surprised me.

Best

Paul

idata
Community Manager

Hi Paul,

I'm a little confused in your first reply you told me: "I received the answer perfectly but it seems that sending characters may occurs issues." So I have a couple of questions:

1) Is your code compiling with no errors?

2) If your code is compiling which characters are you sending correctly and which you aren't?

Best Regards,

-Jose.
idata
Community Manager

Hi Jose.

I DO NOT compile any code!!

I just use screen /dev/ttyMFD1 115200 and tap charaters inside to send to uart.

when I press "a" i saw ▒a.

If I press "a" then "t" i will see ▒a▒t.

I do not programm anything.

If I copy and then paste "at" i will see ▒▒at.

When I press "Enter", I received OK without any ▒ characters.

It is just a presentation issue and sometimes caracters such as "enter" have to be push twice to work.

This is why I would like to know if it is normal or not.

BUT THERE IS NO ISSUE WITH ANY CODE OR COMPILATION.

Best

Paul

idata
Community Manager

Hi Paul,

I see that you are using the system commands, I would recommend to try the mraa library. Please follow this links to learn how to use the UART with mraa. Also here is a link where I found an example using system commands it might be useful for you ( ).

Links:

1) https://github.com/intel-iot-devkit/mraa/blob/master/examples/uart.c mraa/uart.c at master · intel-iot-devkit/mraa · GitHub

2) http://www.tektyte.com/docs/docpages/edison-reference/UART.html UART on the Intel Edison — Tektyte 1.0 documentation

Best Regards,

-Jose.
idata
Community Manager

Hi Paul,

Where you able to try the suggestions in my previous reply? Please let me know in order to assist to you.

We hope you have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose.
idata
Community Manager

Hi Jose,

I did not have time to test as we have a prior issue on i2c. But we will definitely test it.

Best

Paul

idata
Community Manager

Hi Paul,

Let me know your results when you test it, I will be waiting for your reply.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose.
idata
Community Manager

Hi Paul,

Were you able to test my suggestions? Please let me know in order to assist you.

Best Regards,

-Jose.