Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JDrew
Beginner

How to add a USB Serial port without unsigned drivers?

Jump to solution

Hi,

My corporate laptop will not allow me to install the unsigned Intel Edison drivers. All I need is a USB to serial port, not all the other Edison software. Is there a simple way to add a USB to serial port that keeps within the signed constraints? Can it be done manually in Device Manager?

Thanks

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
idata
Community Manager

Hi Jeff,

Did you try to install the FTDI drivers or use SSH? Do you have any updates?

Regards,

-Yermi A.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel Edison Platform.

I would like to let you know that the appropriate way to get the serial interface working is installing the FTDI drivers as mentioned in the "Installing the FTDI drivers" section in this site: https://software.intel.com/en-us/installing-drivers-for-intel-edison-board-with-windows https://software.intel.com/en-us/installing-drivers-for-intel-edison-board-with-windows. Did you try to install those FTDI drivers?

Moreover, another way that you can try is connecting to your Edison using SSH, you can enter your Edison in AP mode by holding down the button labeled "PWR" (in the Arduino expansion board) for more than 2 seconds, but no longer than 7 seconds, the LED DS2 should be blinking as long as the board is in AP mode. Then try to connect via SSH (you may use PuTTY) to the board's WiFi network hotspot (usually the IP address is 192.168.42.1).

I'll be waiting for your updates.

Regards,

-Yermi A.
idata
Community Manager

Hi Jeff,

Did you try to install the FTDI drivers or use SSH? Do you have any updates?

Regards,

-Yermi A.

View solution in original post

JDrew
Beginner

Yes the FTDI drivers fixed my problem. Thanks