Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YYS_S
New Contributor I

How to build kernel modules for edison custom carrier board

Jump to solution

Hi there,

I am fairly new to linux so building an overwhelmingly yocto image is so challenging to me. Nevertheless, with the help of some discussion here and 20+ hours experiments, I figured a way to successfully build a edison image from the latest release (20160606).

My next question is that how to build kernel modules for my sensors on the carrier board?

The sensor I am using is LSM9DS0 and connected to edison via I2C. There are linux drivers from this git: https://github.com/Lahorde/st_lsm9ds0_linux_driver GitHub - Lahorde/st_lsm9ds0_linux_driver: Linux driver for lsm9ds0 IMU. However, I could not find a way to modify the recipes to include this driver to edison image.

It seems possible to build a kernel module for this specific device driver then load the module to yocto system. I got so confused to all kinds of "very much in detailed" manuals, in which the description is challenging to be considered as relevant to edison....

I did read the "BATMAN" post and that does not super helpful to me. Any other suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution
YYS_S
New Contributor I

Well, it is been over a month, to conclude, it virtually not possible to have Edison working on a customized board. IFWI is provided as a close source binary. Intel effectively makes it impossible to add new hardware to the image.

Thanks to all the posts here, learnt quite a bit. It is very important to chose a community supported open source platform, as oppose to someone provided binary-blend open source stuff.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello YS,

Thank you for interest in the Intel® Edison Breakout Board.

From what I understand, you made your own Edison image (based on the latest release), and now you want to connect a sensor to your Edison board via I2C.

You are correct, it is indeed possible to modify the recipes in order to include the sensors' driver to your custom Edison image.

You are probably already familiar with Yocto Project and the relevant information it contains, if you haven't already checked the Kernel Development Manual ( http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.3/kernel-dev/kernel-dev.html) I think that's a good start.

If you are looking for a more lab-based tutorial, here https://www.yoctoproject.org/sites/default/files/kernel-lab-1.4.pdf you'll find useful examples that teach how to edit the recipes (with and without Yocto BSP Tool), add the driver patches and update the configuration of custom images.

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to contact us through this community.

Regards,

Andres
YYS_S
New Contributor I

Hi Andres,

Thanks for replying.

I am actually very new to linux, just get started to read the Yocto reference manual. I will check out the lab based tutorial and kernel development manual. I will keep updating this post.

Best,

Yuncheng

idata
Community Manager

Hi Yuncheng,

I think that after you feel familiar with the contents of the Yocto Reference Manual (and the Yocto project itself) you'll find useful information in the tutorials.

If you have any other question don't hesitate to contact us.

The community will really appreciate if you keep updating this post.

Regards,

Andres
YYS_S
New Contributor I

Well, it is been over a month, to conclude, it virtually not possible to have Edison working on a customized board. IFWI is provided as a close source binary. Intel effectively makes it impossible to add new hardware to the image.

Thanks to all the posts here, learnt quite a bit. It is very important to chose a community supported open source platform, as oppose to someone provided binary-blend open source stuff.

View solution in original post