Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DDam
Novice

How to configure sniff mode of BLE in Intel Edison

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Currently, I am working on BLE in Intel Edison. However, I can't find any documents that help to enable the sniff mode of BLE in Intel Edison. So, I have the questions related it:

1> How can I configure sniff mode of BLE and change the interval time of it ?

2> As I known, when putting the Edison into sleep mode, we need to turn off the bluetooth device. Therefore, is it possible to put the Edison board into sleep mode while BLE device is on in sniff state ? Does Edison support it ?

Thanks,

Accepted Solutions
idata
Community Manager

Hello squaredn,

As far as I understand sniff mode is used on traditional Bluetooth not on BLE, since traditional Bluetooth is very power consuming and since BLE consumes so little energy it doesn't require this mode. BlueZ activates this mode automatically by default and if you would like to check its configurations you can go to /sys/class/bluetooth/hci0 to check it, however you will have to enable Bluetooth first with the command rfkill unblock bluetooth.

Peter.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello squaredn,

As far as I understand sniff mode is used on traditional Bluetooth not on BLE, since traditional Bluetooth is very power consuming and since BLE consumes so little energy it doesn't require this mode. BlueZ activates this mode automatically by default and if you would like to check its configurations you can go to /sys/class/bluetooth/hci0 to check it, however you will have to enable Bluetooth first with the command rfkill unblock bluetooth.

Peter.

View solution in original post

DDam
Novice

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I checked its configuration and it shows the values of sniff_max_interval and sniff_min_interval. However, I want to use this mode (sniff mode) although BLE also consumes little energy. So, how can I enable/disable this mode and configure the interval time of sniff mode ?

Thank you so much.

idata
Community Manager

Hi squaredn,

As I mentioned above, sniff mode is used on traditional Bluetooth, it is not present on BLE. The fact that BLE requires so little energy to function is probably the reason why they decided not to include sniff mode in BLE.

Peter.