cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DPatt3
Beginner

How to disable WiFi and Bluetooth from Windows 10 IoT Core

Hello.

I am looking at how much power the Intel Joule draws while running Windows 10 IoT Core and I am curious how to disable the WiFi and/or Bluetooth radios from Windows 10 IoT Core. Anyone know?

With Windows 10 IoT Core and running the headless "HelloBlinkyBackground" (also monitoring the performance via web interface), the Joule is drawing 0.175mA @12V = 2.1W

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi audiog33k,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel Joule Platform.

In this community, we only support the Reference Linux for IoT (Ostro OS). I would recommend contacting the Windows community (https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot/Community Community | Windows IoT ), since they are the developers of Windows IoT.

Now, that said, when you talked about disabling the WiFi and/or Bluetooth radios, do you mean just disabling your WiFi connection? If you are, you might find this link useful: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot/Docs/GetStarted/joule/getstartedstep2 Step 2 of 4 - Set up your device | Windows IoT . If you aren't referring to just disable the WiFi connection, I would have to guess that you are trying to use your Joule in AP Mode and want to limit the internal WiFi broadcast signals (2.4 GHz and 5GHz). You should know that in Ostro OS this feature is planned to be introduced in a future release, so you will have to contact Windows IoT to see if they have been able to enable this feature.

Hope you find this information useful, have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose P.
DPatt3
Beginner

Jose:

Thanks for your input.

What I am trying to do is turn off the radios to save power. The proposed product that I am working is battery powered and does not require WiFi or Bluetooth. I would like to be able to turn off these portions of the Joule to conserve power.

Thanks

Dan

Rituraj_C_Intel
Employee

Hi Dan,

There are multiple ways to disable a device.

You can use a tool known as devcon. See the link here : https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/drivers/devtest/devcon-disable DevCon Disable . Check the device ID before disabling it. You can do that through the Windows device portal>Device tab.

I disabled wifi and then I restarted the system. I checked and wifi is in D3. So I have essentially disabled the device. But dont expect the device to work if you go this way.

Thanks-

Rituraj Chauhan

idata
Community Manager

Hi guys,

RiturajC058 thanks for the suggestion!

audiog33k this is an interesting project! I would recommend to try RiturajC058 suggestions, if they don't work I would encourage you to browse in the Windows community to see if anyone has been able to turn off the WiFi radios in order to save power.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

-Jose P.
DPatt3
Beginner

RiturajC058:

Thank you for the suggestion. I think that might work. I will give it a try. It will be a day or two as I am currently trying a test with Windows 10 Enterprise (not Core) loaded on the Joule

Thanks. Dan