Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

How to find out current build version of Edison's image and understand version numbers?

Jump to solution

Dear Community,

a few questions regarding the images for Edison:

1. How can I check which build version Edison is currently running on?
  2. How do I understand the version numbers of the images offered for download?
    • The download page just states "Yocto complete image" without date or further information
    • The file states "edison-image-ww05-15" but I was expecting something like "build 68"
  3. Where can I find the changelog for the current image?
  4. Is there a roadmap for the Edison image? Like what features are planned to be integrated and when?
  5. Where can I find pre-release versions of the image?
  6. Are there any images (or forks) being developed by the community?
  7. Right now the only thing I can update is the Yocto image, no other parts like the firmware of the platform?

Thanks for your help!

Best,

Paul

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Employee

Hello Paul2,

I will try to answer all your questions one by one:

Use the following command to check the current version running on Edison:

configure_edison --version

The name "edison-image-ww05-15" means that it is the image version released the 5th week of the year 2015.

You can check the Release Notes here: http://www.intel.com/support/edison/sb/CS-035253.htm Intel® Edison Boards and Compute Modules — Support Package Release Notes

4. Is there a roadmap for the Edison image? Like what features are planned to be integrated and when?

There is no a roadmap like that. I'd recommend you to stay tuned at the Edison Community. You will find here announcements about Edison updates. Also, you will find all the updated documentation for Edison here: http://www.intel.com/support/maker/edison.htm# documents Intel Edison Support

You can find older versions of the software and image here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=24389 Intel® Download Center

Some users have done their own images. You can find several threads about it in the community.

7. Right now the only thing I can update is the Yocto image, no other parts like the firmware of the platform?

There is only one type of update and that is the image update. The firmware will be updated together with the image when you flash it into Edison.

I hope all your questions have been answered with this information.

Regards,

Diego.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
Employee

Hello Paul2,

I will try to answer all your questions one by one:

Use the following command to check the current version running on Edison:

The name "edison-image-ww05-15" means that it is the image version released the 5th week of the year 2015.

You can check the Release Notes here: http://www.intel.com/support/edison/sb/CS-035253.htm Intel® Edison Boards and Compute Modules — Support Package Release Notes

There is no a roadmap like that. I'd recommend you to stay tuned at the Edison Community. You will find here announcements about Edison updates. Also, you will find all the updated documentation for Edison here: http://www.intel.com/support/maker/edison.htm# documents Intel Edison Support

You can find older versions of the software and image here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=24389 Intel® Download Center

Some users have done their own images. You can find several threads about it in the community.

There is only one type of update and that is the image update. The firmware will be updated together with the image when you flash it into Edison.

I hope all your questions have been answered with this information.

Regards,

Diego.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Novice

How to I map the number given by "configure_edison --version" (e.g. 159) to the corresponding install image name?

Highlighted
Employee

Hello John_Brewer,

I believe the information you are looking for is in the following threads:

There is a newer image that doesn't appear in the threads above. It is the WW25.5-15 (the newest) and its "configure_edison --version" output is 159.

Regards,

Diego.

Highlighted
Beginner

The command does not seem to be valid anymore:

Incorrect input. Redirecting to --help

Interactive configuration options:

(none) Goes through changing the device name, password, and wifi options.

--name or -n Changes the device name

--password or -p Changes the device password

--wifi or -w Changes the wifi options

Non-interactive configuration options

--changePassword Changes the device password to the following argument

--changeName Changes the device name to the following argument

Other options

--help or -h Displays these help options

--server Starts the server (testing only)

Is there an alternative?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Employee

Hello Andrea_G,

Could you please post the link of the image that you flashed into your Edison?

Regards,

Diego.

Highlighted
Employee

Hi Diego,

I actually was not able to flash the board, which is currently running the image that was pre-installed when I received it last week.

The Flash Tool is not able to find the board when I connect it but I don't know exactly why.

I managed to get a terminal session on the board and run the commands above after manually installing the FTDI drivers.

Thanks,

Andrea

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hello AndreaG,

I recommend you to try flashing the Edison using the flashall script which is an alternative method. Please check the following guide where this flashing process is explained:

Regards,

Diego.

0 Kudos