Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JBrit4
Beginner

How to get RTC time with Edison's MCU?

I need to get the RTC time when the CPU is sleeping. Then I need to access this from the Quark MCU.

How can I get this time? I searched alot, but there is no documentation of the RTOS nor of the MCU.

All I found is this link. Nothing more.

https://software.intel.com/pt-br/creating-applications-with-mcu-sdk-for-intel-edison-board Creating applications with the MCU SDK for the Intel® Edison board: Overview | Intel® Developer Zone

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi JBrito,

We would appreciate if you could explain us what you want to achieve with this time. Would you need this time to wake up the board? Or do you need to send this data to another system while the Edison is sleeping?

Regards,

Pablo

JBrit4
Beginner

I'm working on a wristband that will collect sensor's data and show the time on a display, like a normal watch.

Alot of time spent researching. I'm almost giving up and will start using an external RTC for this. The problem is that will endear the project and increase the work because I have to synchronize time with the Edison's time sometimes.

This could be avoid if I could access the Edison's RTC.

Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi JBrito,

Thank you for the explanation. Even if we haven't done it before, it should be possible to do it. According to the MCU guide (Creating applications with the MCU SDK) which is the same that you mentioned, there are some host side interfaces available. /dev/ttymcu0 can be used as a data transmission channel between the host and the MCU. It should be possible to send/receive data to/from the MCU using host_send and host_receive. I believe that if you're able to get the data from the RTC you should be able to send it to the MCU. I suggest you to check these threads for more information on the RTC operation, and .

Regards,

Pablo

VVela
New Contributor I

Did you get this working. I am in need of the same thing.

Thanks.