Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

How to keep the Edison sketch running after closing putty session?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have been SSHing Arduino sketches over putty to my Edison. I would like the Edison to keep running the sketch even after I end its session on putty so that it can continue running itself. Can anyone suggest how to do this? Please forgive me if this is a basic question.

Thank you,

Jordan

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

I have been SSHing Arduino sketches over putty to my Edison.

Where did you put the sketch? How do you run it? If you put it as /sketch/sketch.elf (as far as I recall) clloader should take care of running it independent on your ssh session.

If you try to run it as a standard Linux process you would need to start it with "nohup" for instance

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Employee

Hello Jordan1850,

The Arduino sketch should keep running once you upload it. When the Arduino sketch is uploaded, it starts running immediately and it doesn't stop unless there is an external command that makes it stop. You can do a quick test by uploading the blink sketch from the example codes in the Arduino IDE. You will see how the onboard LED starts blinking regardless if there is a PuTTY session open or not.

Regards,

Diego.

Highlighted

I have been SSHing Arduino sketches over putty to my Edison.

Where did you put the sketch? How do you run it? If you put it as /sketch/sketch.elf (as far as I recall) clloader should take care of running it independent on your ssh session.

If you try to run it as a standard Linux process you would need to start it with "nohup" for instance

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Novice

Adding nohup worked. Thank you.

Jordan

0 Kudos