Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SKuma75
New Contributor I

How to make the driver changes effective in the current Yocto Build?

Hi Guys,

I have to make some changes to one of the drivers in the Yocto kernel and make the changes effective in my build. After doing the changes in the driver file present in ../work/quark-poky-linux/3.14-r/linux/drivers/...., I'm following the below mentioned steps:-

bitbake linux-yocto-quark -c compile -f

bitbake linux-yocto-quark -c deploy

bitbake linux-yocto-quark

bitbake image-full

The above mentioned steps are duplicating the bzImage,initramfs and other files present in the images directory. How to avoid the same so that I could just effectively add the small changes made in the driver as patch to the existing Yocto build?
3 Replies
Sergio_A_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Are you enabling the driver using menuconfig? Are you following any specific guide? Take a look at http://alextgalileo.altervista.org/blog/reconfiguring-linux-kernel-adding-drivers-galileos-linux-ima... Reconfiguring Linux kernel and adding drivers into Galileo's Linux image . This guide will show you the steps to enable the driver in your image.

Let me know your results.

Sergio

SKuma75
New Contributor I

Hi Intel_Alvarado,

That post is really helpful. With the generation of .ipk file, I can just copy it to the board and install it using OPKG. That saves much of the efforts that I usually undergo to make the module enablement using menuconfig by following the above mentioned tedious steps. With that in another place, now my aim is to make changes in the driver , viz., adding some debug statements . What will be the steps needed to apply some driver change as a patch to my Yocto image??

Sergio_A_Intel
Employee

Hi,

There is not an official guide with steps; however there are threads in the community with information on how to do it. Check this for example

Sergio