cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MYoon1
Novice

Hypervisor for Edison?

Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried running hypervisor on Edison? I am looking for a way to run two OSes (two VMs) on Edison. If there is no way to run hypervisor on it, I would be also interested in running Linux on one core and a bare-metal application on the other, if this is possible. I would appreciate any information/suggestion. Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Sergio_A_Intel
Employee

Hi mkyoon,

I'm not sure if it's possible to run hypervision on Edison. I'll do some research and let you know what I find out. If you decide to try it out let us know your results and post them on this thread. Regarding the bare-metal programming I've found a link you might find useful. It is for galileo but it might work on the Edison as well /message/220383 https://communities.intel.com/message/220383 .

Regards

Sergio

MYoon1
Novice

Thank you very much! Any information about working hypervisor configuration (if exists!) on Edison would be really helpful. I will post what I found as well. Thank you.

hyang22
Beginner

Xen has a subproject that provide xen hypervisor for embeded enviroment, but I don't think there is a usable version for edison

Sergio_A_Intel
Employee

Hi,

It should work, it might be slow but we do not have support for this.

Regards

Sergio

Matthias_H_Intel
Employee

Intel_Alvarado how do you mean "should work"? I guess u-boot would need to enable VT-X ... in order to use virtualization. Is what you say that virtualization is enabled?

VT-X is not available so no h/w assisted hypervisor.

however it is possible to offline an Atom core on Edison/Linux. then by putting your baremetal app into physical memory and initiating a SIPI/2INIT IPI sequence it should be possible to jump to baremetal app. You may look at https://github.com/izard/RTBench/tree/master/tools/src/baremetal RTBench/tools/src/baremetal at master · izard/RTBench · GitHub as a base, but some adjustments with addresses will be required.

Sergio_A_Intel
Employee

mhahn

VT-X is not enabled, but there is nothing stopping virtualization from happening on the software level.

Regards

Sergio

Matthias_H_Intel
Employee

Intel_Alvarado

but there is nothing stopping virtualization from happening on the software level.

apart from that the performance would be low compared to what it could be?

MYoon1
Novice

I was able to run qemu with --enable-kvm option on Edison. Doesn't this mean that VTx is enabled on Edison?

Sergio_A_Intel
Employee

Hi,

As stated in previous post, VT-X is not enabled.

Regards

Sergio