Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FPERA4
Beginner

I begin with a intel Galileo that i buy some years ago. I have some problems to started. I think the IDE of Standard Arduino (1.8.10 hourly build). Help me for started. The help in line is not sure. Pepelyon

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Luis_at_Intel

Hi @FPERA4​ ,

Thanks for clarifying what the issue is. I wanted to let you know that I have attempted to upload the Blink example to a Galileo Gen2 and is working, however I am experiencing a similar issue as you are with the Galileo Gen1 board. The sketch upload completes successfully for me but the on-board LED doesn't actually blink, if you can please attach those errors you are getting so I can get an idea of what could be happening. Hope the steps and suggestions below are helpful to you, please don't get overwhelmed if you see a lot of text as I am just trying to be as descriptive and clear as possible. 🙂

I have done a few things to setup the Arduino IDE and upload the Blink sketch to get to the same point as you are, where the blink example isn't working. Please ignore these steps as you have already completed them. I am pasting them either way just for your information:

• Inserted mSDcard previously flashed with the board's firmware
  • Powered up the board (give it time to boot, it takes ~1 min)
  • Downloaded/installed the Windows Installer from here https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
    • Used default settings given by the installer
    • Start Arduino IDE (version 1.8.9)
    • Go to Tools > Board > Boards Manager... and install "Intel i586 Boards by Intel" package version 1.6.7+1.0 (Note: If you had a Galileo Gen 2, same package applies to it)
    • Go to Tools > Board and select the Intel(R) Galileo
    • Using a micro-USB cable plug it in to the USB-CLIENT port of your Galileo, then plug it in to your PC
    • Go to Tools > Port and select the COM port for your Galileo (COM4 in my case)
    • Go to File > Examples > 01.Basics > Blink
    • Click on Upload to compile/transfer the Blink example to the Galileo board
      • Sketch upload completes successfully, but on-board LED doesn't blink. So we are on the same page, I can replicate your issue.

In an attempt to fix this problem, I have powered down the board and removed the mSDcard. Then you can proceed with these steps:

• There is an on-board firmware that can also be updated (separate from the mSDcard image), so even if you don't have an mSDcard image, it would still handle and work with Arduino sketches. The only difference is that without the mSDcard image, sketches are deleted/lost when the Galileo board is powered off. I'd recommend to use the mSDcard if you want your Arduino sketch to be saved/started automatically when the Galileo board is powered up.
    • Download the Galileo Firmware Updater Tool for your OS here (I downloaded the IntelGalileoFirmwareUpdater-1.1.0-Windows.zip as I am using Windows 10)
    • Unzip file and run the firmware-updater-1.1.0 application from the extracted folder
    • Power up your board with the power supply (give it ~1 min to finish boot up) and connect it to your PC with a micro-USB data cable using the CLIENT-USB port on your Galileo board
    • Select the port for your board (COM20 in my case). If you select a port that is not the Galileo board, it would display a message like "Galileo not found on COMX! Please make sure you select the correct serial port and that you have permission to access". Just selecting the right port should give you the Current Board Firmware (732 in my case) and the Update Firmware button should be active (as shown below). Select Firmware 1.1.0 option from the tool if not already done so, then click on Update Firmware
      • galileo-updater-tool.JPG
    • It takes ~5 minutes for the firmware update to complete, please give it enough time to succeed. You would see a message like the following:
      • galileo-update-success.JPG

Updating the on-board firmware worked for me, I can now upload the blink example and it is working. The steps above should definitely help you solve the issue as I have tested this myself. After this you can try to upload the blink example to your board and see if it works for you. If it works, meaning your on-board LED is blinking, I'd suggest to test your mSDcard image following these steps:

• Unplug the micro-USB and power down your Galileo
  • Insert the mSDcard to your Galileo (no need to re-flash, the one you have created should work just fine)
  • Power up your board and plug the board to your PC using the CLIENT-USB port of your Galileo
  • Again upload the Blink sketch from the Arduino IDE to your board, make sure it is blinking
  • Power down your Galileo and power it up again (give it a minute or so), if the on-board LED starts blinking it means your mSDcard is working. If not, there may be an issue with the mSDcard image which may require a remake.

Regards,

@Luis_at_Intel​ 

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Luis_at_Intel

Hi @FPERA4​ ,

Thanks for contacting us. You can check out the Getting Started guide for the Intel(R) Galileo board in the links below, make a selection based on your Operating System.

Within that guide you will encounter how to install the Arduino IDE on your machine, you can find the reference here https://software.intel.com/en-us/get-started-arduino-install. In addition you can find the board's firmware in the following link https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26418/Intel-Galileo-Board-Support-Package, the file of interest there is under the name of Galileo_Poky_SW_image_20160606.zip. Please let me know if you run into issues along the way or you have additional questions.

Regards,

@Luis_at_Intel​ 

FPERA4
Beginner

Hi @Luis_at_Intel​ intel,

Thank you for your respond. I saw theese datasheets but I don't knew how to used all that.

For instance, i downloaded "7_zip" and Galileo_Poky....

Must i unziped "7_zip" before and what folder (any folder ?)

I wait yours advises before to continue.

More thank you for your help

FPERA4

Luis_at_Intel

Hi @FPERA4​ ,

The Galileo_Poky is the firmware of the Galileo board, you would need to write the image to your micro SD card. You can unzip it anywhere. This step can be found https://software.intel.com/en-us/get-started-galileo-windows-step1 if you are using Windows. Once the micro SD card is ready, you can insert it on to your board and power it up. After this you should be able to continue through the guide I shared and get started.

Let me know if you run into issues.

Regards,

@Luis_at_Intel​ 

FPERA4
Beginner

Hi @Luis_at_Intel​ ,

Thank you for your answer,

If i understand good, it is not possible to run Intel Galileo board without a SD card. That explain problems i had with Arduino IDE in wanting to dowload "Blink" on board without SD.

All is ok and ready for writing the SD tomorow with disk32imager who isn't from sourceforge.net but another provider TechSpot. I think it's good.

I shall informe to you of the result.

More thank you

Regards,

@FPERA4​ 

FPERA4
Beginner

Hi @Luis_at_intel

I wrote on the SD card. I have a folder "boot" whose have an another folder "grub" and on the root I have also a file "bzImage".

Iinsered the SD card in the intel Galileo and I maked running Intel Galileo. Nothing hapenned, it's like before.

Another thing, when I insered my SD card in my computer, Ihad in my Explorer a device SDHC (E) and an other device is born : USB (G) whose want to format. What have to make ?

Thank you for your help to advancing up. There is somes different between the experimentation and the text from support on line.

Regards,

@FPERA4

Luis_at_Intel

Hi @FPERA4​ ,

That is expected, writing the image to the mSDcard creates 2 partitions (and leaves an extra one with unallocated space). No need to format the extra device. May I ask what error or issue you are running into when you say "Nothing happened, it's like before? Is it something happening with the Arduino IDE? Let me know so I can better assist.

Just for your information this is how I went about writing the image file to the mSDcard:

1. Format mSDcard as FAT32 with Default allocation size
  2. Download Galileo_Poky_SW_image_20160606.zip from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26418/Intel-Galileo-Board-Support-Package and extract package 
  3. Using Win32DiskImager
  • Select device for mSDcard (D:\ in my case)
    • Select a disk image, change disk type to *.*, navigate to the extracted image folder and select file iot-devkit-prof-dev-image-galileo-20160606.direct
    • Click on Write (make sure the correct device is selected to write to, as it will overwrite its contents), click Yes and wait for the task to complete
    • Once completes, you will get a 'Write Successful' message, click OK
    • Eject safely your mSDcard from your system and insert it into your Galileo board and power it up

If successful, assuming you have a Serial Connection to your Galileo board, you would see a boot screen similar to this:

galileo-grub-screen.JPG

Regards,

@Luis_at_Intel​ 

FPERA4
Beginner

Hi @Luis_at_Intel​ ,

Thank you for the explanation of two partitions on mSD card. I haven't known that 2 partitions ware created. Tomorow I again formate the mSD card, I haven't known how it was formated. I hope perhaps I should have in root : boot, win serial, firmware and bzimage.

When I said "nothing is happening, t"s like before", I have wanted to say that it's the same situation with a bootable mSDcard or without a mSDcard. When I test a sketch "blink"(example of the librarie) with Arduino IDE, the verifycation and the uploaded displaye somes errors and the led blinked not.

But finding in a documentation on line with Intel web all that it is said, it could have confusion, particulary with the poor text in French and in English. In my part, I set for board "Arduino Uno" while "Intel Galileo" was proposed below, very below. Also there is a confusion on a serial link, I connected with miniUSB b-USB a cord and the right link would be a serial (RS232 with the Jack 3.5 mm) to a port USB a by a converter. Tomorow I shall purchase this converter cord. I think Arduino IDE communicate with this RS 232 port.

More thank you for your help

Regards,

@FPERA4​ 

FPERA4
Beginner

Hi @Luis_at_Intel​ ,

I rewrited the mSDcard with yours abvises. The format in FAT (default), I think that it's 32 bits. This mSDcard contents a folder "boot" whoose contents "grub". There is also a file bzImage in the root of mSDcard. The situation is always the same.

I am going to continue for working with the Intel Galileo IDE.

More thank you help

Regards,

@FPERA4​ 

Luis_at_Intel

Hi @FPERA4​ ,

Thanks for clarifying what the issue is. I wanted to let you know that I have attempted to upload the Blink example to a Galileo Gen2 and is working, however I am experiencing a similar issue as you are with the Galileo Gen1 board. The sketch upload completes successfully for me but the on-board LED doesn't actually blink, if you can please attach those errors you are getting so I can get an idea of what could be happening. Hope the steps and suggestions below are helpful to you, please don't get overwhelmed if you see a lot of text as I am just trying to be as descriptive and clear as possible. 🙂

I have done a few things to setup the Arduino IDE and upload the Blink sketch to get to the same point as you are, where the blink example isn't working. Please ignore these steps as you have already completed them. I am pasting them either way just for your information:

• Inserted mSDcard previously flashed with the board's firmware
  • Powered up the board (give it time to boot, it takes ~1 min)
  • Downloaded/installed the Windows Installer from here https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
    • Used default settings given by the installer
    • Start Arduino IDE (version 1.8.9)
    • Go to Tools > Board > Boards Manager... and install "Intel i586 Boards by Intel" package version 1.6.7+1.0 (Note: If you had a Galileo Gen 2, same package applies to it)
    • Go to Tools > Board and select the Intel(R) Galileo
    • Using a micro-USB cable plug it in to the USB-CLIENT port of your Galileo, then plug it in to your PC
    • Go to Tools > Port and select the COM port for your Galileo (COM4 in my case)
    • Go to File > Examples > 01.Basics > Blink
    • Click on Upload to compile/transfer the Blink example to the Galileo board
      • Sketch upload completes successfully, but on-board LED doesn't blink. So we are on the same page, I can replicate your issue.

In an attempt to fix this problem, I have powered down the board and removed the mSDcard. Then you can proceed with these steps:

• There is an on-board firmware that can also be updated (separate from the mSDcard image), so even if you don't have an mSDcard image, it would still handle and work with Arduino sketches. The only difference is that without the mSDcard image, sketches are deleted/lost when the Galileo board is powered off. I'd recommend to use the mSDcard if you want your Arduino sketch to be saved/started automatically when the Galileo board is powered up.
    • Download the Galileo Firmware Updater Tool for your OS here (I downloaded the IntelGalileoFirmwareUpdater-1.1.0-Windows.zip as I am using Windows 10)
    • Unzip file and run the firmware-updater-1.1.0 application from the extracted folder
    • Power up your board with the power supply (give it ~1 min to finish boot up) and connect it to your PC with a micro-USB data cable using the CLIENT-USB port on your Galileo board
    • Select the port for your board (COM20 in my case). If you select a port that is not the Galileo board, it would display a message like "Galileo not found on COMX! Please make sure you select the correct serial port and that you have permission to access". Just selecting the right port should give you the Current Board Firmware (732 in my case) and the Update Firmware button should be active (as shown below). Select Firmware 1.1.0 option from the tool if not already done so, then click on Update Firmware
      • galileo-updater-tool.JPG
    • It takes ~5 minutes for the firmware update to complete, please give it enough time to succeed. You would see a message like the following:
      • galileo-update-success.JPG

Updating the on-board firmware worked for me, I can now upload the blink example and it is working. The steps above should definitely help you solve the issue as I have tested this myself. After this you can try to upload the blink example to your board and see if it works for you. If it works, meaning your on-board LED is blinking, I'd suggest to test your mSDcard image following these steps:

• Unplug the micro-USB and power down your Galileo
  • Insert the mSDcard to your Galileo (no need to re-flash, the one you have created should work just fine)
  • Power up your board and plug the board to your PC using the CLIENT-USB port of your Galileo
  • Again upload the Blink sketch from the Arduino IDE to your board, make sure it is blinking
  • Power down your Galileo and power it up again (give it a minute or so), if the on-board LED starts blinking it means your mSDcard is working. If not, there may be an issue with the mSDcard image which may require a remake.

Regards,

@Luis_at_Intel​ 

View solution in original post

FPERA4
Beginner

Hi @Luis_at_Intel​ ,

We progress. All is OK until to update the firmware. After all, I was able to install the arduino 1.8.9 with the direct URL mentionned in your post. The permission was denied and i wasn't authorized to access

The running is unpossible with the two version Arduino 1.8.10 and 1.8.9. I uninstall all and I again install only the Arduino version 1.8.9. All had better until to update the firmware. I always have the same error message "Galileo not found on COM4 ! Please make sure that you select correct serial port and you have permission to access". I maked several attempts with differnts ports and the connected and connecting the USB cable from Board when updater wait the connection port. However the port is detected by IDE or OS Windows 10.

I continue to search the bugg.

More thank you for yours helps

Regards,

@FPERA4​ 

Luis_at_Intel

Hi @FPERA4​ ,

Make sure the mSDcard is not inserted and that the board has been rebooted. Also if the Firmware Updater tool gives you the same message (Galileo not found on COMX), just re-select the COM port for the Galileo and it the tool should pick it up automatically. If not, re-open the tool and try again.

Note: If there is an mSDcard image on the board, the Firmware Updater tool won't recognize your Galileo board.

Regards,

@Luis_at_Intel​ 

FPERA4
Beginner

Hi @Luis_at_Intel​ ,

Yess... the led blink.

I tried a new time that mSDcard is not inserted. I runned the previously used firmware and I had the same problem.

I downloaded the firmware_updater and moved in a new folder. I runned the firmware_updater and I always the same message, I even though click on "COM 4" and in the file menu I continued on click on "Firmware_ updater" and Ihad a message windows "Intel Galileo update requises using the external power supply" instead "Preferences not yet properly set". I clicked on "oui" (yes) and Then the process to update is launched. The board is downpower during a few seconds and I followed the updatind on the progress bare. At the end, I had a message "the firmware is not updated".

Yet, I downloaded the sketch "blink" and the Led blink.

Also, I relaunched the "firmware_updater" to well know the firmware version of the board and I had the same bad Problem.

Is there an other solution to know the firmware version ? From IDE for example.

It is the great pleasure to know that board begin to run.

More thank you

Regards,

@FPERA4​