Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ARami7
New Contributor I

I dont want to upload arduino sketches, i want to open the sketch file directory and run it from ssh

Hi guys, im tired of uploading 1 sketch from arduino IDE to my sd card, and wait to boot my gen 2 for my code to run, can i please just have multiple sketch files in my sd card and run them from the console? example: cd /media/mmcblk0p1/testSketch1. " ? is this possible? i want to have multiple sketch files in my sd card ready for me to run from the console by invoking it's directory

11 Replies
Pedro_M_Intel
Employee

Hello AdanChristo,

Yes, there is a way to upload several sketches to your Galileo and then start them whenever you like. Follow these steps to do so:

1. Upload your sketches and copy them into a different folder (uploaded sketches are found in /sketch) but do not change the sketch's name, if you need to identify them change the directory's name instead.

2. To start a specific sketch, stop clloader with the command systemctl stop clloader.service

3. Copy the sketch you want to start to the /sketch directory

4. Start clloader again with the command systemctl start clloader.service

Let me know if it works for you.

Peter.

ARami7
New Contributor I

Currently in my SD card, i uploaded the 'Blink' example into my i g gen2 board, i ssh through wifi and typed this:

what am i doing wrong?

i also tried running the command in my sd card:

when i run this command, blinking stops momentarily, after half a second, my board keeps blinking.

Update:

i can move the 'sketch.elf' file into another directory.... or so it seems.. i use a command to create a new directory on my sd card and move 'sketches.elf' into new location, but wait! it not only does not get created, but my sketches.elf is gone!

*update:

figured out how to move 'sketch.elf' into 'sketches' directory, however.... when i delete sketch.elf file in '/sketch' and move 'sketch.elf' in '/sketches' i cant seem to activate the .elf file... tried both stop/start commands with no success...

ARami7
New Contributor I

FTinetti
Honored Contributor I

Hi,

I'm in trouble right now...

In the uclibc image (in the SD card) , the systemctl command does not exist...

I'm rrying to use the eglibc, but when I connect the Galileo USB to the laptop it is recognized as another device, not as a Galileo...

Maybe because I'm using a Gen 1 Galileo, maybe not, but in either case I'll have to solve my problem first, and later maybe coming back to this...

Fernando.

asss
Valued Contributor II

Hi,

1. clloader works with /sketch/sketch.elf only. It will not work with other places.

So, systemctl [start|stop] clloader.service will call /sketch/sketch.elf only.

2. There is no problem to run sketch from a command line:

BR,

xbolshe

ARami7
New Contributor I

hello, can you elaborate your command? how do i use it in my case? thanks

asss
Valued Contributor II

Just type:

./sketch.elf /dev/ttyGS0

in the folder where you scketch is located.

BR,

xbolshe

FTinetti
Honored Contributor I

Hi AdanChristo,

Starting with nothing loaded, i.e.

I load the Blink example. The LED starts blinking and in the /sketch directory:

systemctl does not work:

and I don't know why, I'm using the last (downloaded yesterday) egclibc yocto image...

Anyway, I'm able to stop the process with the killall command:

The first ps shows the sketch.elf is running and the second one shows it is not running anymore.

Now I rename the sketch.elf so that I remember what sketch is and start the sketch from the command line as suggested by xbolshe:

and the LED starts blinking again.

I stop this process running with ^C and load a second sketch, which actually does exactly the same as Blink and prints On/Off as the LED is HIGH/LOW respectively

and in the linux terminal:

i.e. the sketch.elf is the Blink2 sketch.

As before, I can stop the sketch, rename the file and restart the sketch with the new filename:

and

There is one side effect, though, which are the so called zombie processes, but I think they are not a problem so far...

HTH,

Fernando.

ARami7
New Contributor I

u and xbolshe are good! thank you

** one last thing, instead of ^C to stop the process, what's another alternative? i ultimately want to automate launching programs but im having a hard time simulating ^C keystrokes, thanks

ARami7
New Contributor I

FTinetti
Honored Contributor I

AdanChristo wrote:

u and xbolshe are good! thank you

** one last thing, instead of ^C to stop the process, what's another alternative? i ultimately want to automate launching programs but im having a hard time simulating ^C keystrokes, thanks

You are welcome, it's good to see you are able to have your project going on.

You can use the killall command for stoping processes. Following the examples above:

./Blink.elf /dev/ttyGS0 &

(note the "&" at the end so that the process is started and you have the prompt at the terminal) you can use later

killall Blink.elf

and the sketch should stop running.

Fernando.