Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hlim12
Novice

I want to know how to automatically connect to a new wifi Intel Edison.

I want to know how to automatically connect to a new wifi Intel Edison.

There is an existing wifi is automatically connected, but the new wifi is automatically connected from behind.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi Hwanhee,

We will be happy to help you with this question. We would just like to ask some more questions to better assist you.
  • By "connect to a new wifi", you mean to connect the Edison to a new WiFi network automatically, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Could you please access the Edison and provide the information from the wpa_supplicant.conf file? This file is located in the following directory /etc/wpa_supplicant. You can read it using the cat command: cat wpa_supplicant.conf.
We'll be waiting for your reply.

Regards,

-Pablo
hlim12
Novice

I think you were right. I would like to automatically connect to the new network has never been connected before.

wpa_supplicant.conf file, I will put up again later.

idata
Community Manager

Hi hwanhee,

Thank you very much for sharing the image.

My suggestion would be to connect to the new WiFi network by using the configure_edison --wifi command (follow the usual steps: wait for it to scan for networks, choose the new network, enter the password, etc.). Once you're done with that, access the wpa_supplicant.conf file again and then edit the file using any text editor like nano or vi and delete the old network information, in your case it would be the one from the image.

Regards,

-Pablo
hlim12
Novice

Hi, Pablo,

Thank you very much for reply.

I think that you are misunderstood.

I'm not connecting with the command( configure_edison --wifi ),

I want to automatically connect to the new network(open network) without the command.

idata
Community Manager

Hi Hwanhee,

But first you need to 'forget' your old network setting, and then connect at least once to the new network for the Edison to remember this data. If you have already connected to the new network, you just need to delete the old network data from the wpa_supplicant.conf file.

Another not so clean way, would be to flash the Edison board to upload a clean image and then connect only to the network you wish to use so you don't have any inconvenience with old network information.

Regards,

-Pablo
hlim12
Novice

Hi Pablo,

Intel Edison is connected to the network in order to be automatically once the connection, if Intel Edison if the IOT device, how do I connect without a computer connected to the new network?

I would like to know how

Thank ongoing response.

IC__C
Beginner

Hi Hwanhee,

I think what you are looking for is to be able to configure the edison to connect to a new wifi whenever u need to without having to connect USB and use a computer... if so, we have developed a mobile app tool that enables you to search for all edison boards from your andoird phone and select the board you wish to configure the wifi for, then enter all the network details (including statis IP, or server or gateway or DNS) then save them.. and the edison is ready to connect.

you just need to upload the customised firmware to your edison (related to the wifi connectivity only) .

let me know if you need these resources.

best regards,

Imad

hlim12
Novice

Thank you Imad,

I would want to have a mobile app tool(resources) you've developed .

As a result, I will be a very large force.

thank you very much.

E-mail address: mailto:hoanhee09@naver.com hoanhee09@naver.com

Hwanhee

idata
Community Manager

Hi guys,

Imad-eSpaces, thank you very much for your contribution. I was in fact misunderstanding what Hwanhee wanted to achieve, but I think I get it know. Your app sounds really interesting, to be honest, I didn't know something like that had been developed. It sounds like a really useful tool.

hwanhee, I apologize for the confusion. Hopefully Imad will be able to share some resources with you. I'll keep looking for other alternatives for you to have some more options.

Regards,

-Pablo
hlim12
Novice

Hi Pablo,

no. Fine. Thank you.

Thank you very much for other alternatives for you to have some more options.

Thank you

-Hwanhee

IC__C
Beginner

Hi Pablo,

it is a pleasure dear, we have developed this solution to tackle this problem and we will share it on our website FOC hoping that it will help benefit others.

it was tested by Intel IoT Ignition labs , if you can send me your contact details, we can exchange further details : mailto:imad@electronicspaces.com imad@electronicspaces.com

hwanhee hello Hwanhee, please note that there are 2 options : a full Linux image file or a script that you can integrate within your own code? which one you feel more comfortable with? the mobile app will be available on google play store by Tuesday morning .

waiting for your kind reply,

best regards,

Imad

hlim12
Novice

Hi Imad,

I am a college student in the Republic of Korea.

Intel currently studying with Edison.

So I want everything you have two options presented.

And can you give your application source to me?

And what is the name of the mobile app?

waiting for your kind reply,

Thank you very much.

-Hwanhee

idata
Community Manager

Hello guys,

Imad, again, thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and resources with the Community users. Personally, I would like to try it myself just to see how it works so if you can provide the script that you mention in your post I would really appreciate (if you allow me to, obviously). Please feel free to contact me via private message whenever you feel like it. It is also great to know that you already have an app on its way to the Play Store.

Hwanhee, I've been looking for other options but I haven't find any, your best option right now is using Imad image to accomplish this automatic connection.

Regards,

-Pablo
hlim12
Novice

hi Pablo,

I found a way to connect your smartphone and Edison.

That is to use a framework iotivity.

I do not know how to use at all.

I would like to know step by step how to use the iotivity framework.

Simple step-by-step also OK.

Tank you.

-Hwanhee

IC__C
Beginner

Hi hwanhee

please note that we are doing some improvements on the code, so we couldn't release yesterday, hopefully should be today,

I shall keep you posted and will send you an email as well,

best regards,

Imad

IC__C
Beginner

Hi Pablo,

we are pleased to share and specially we value your feedback, if I can have your email, in order to communicate efficiently. we are expecting to release the resources today, we had to improve the code prior to releasing it.

mailto:imad@electronicspaces.com imad@electronicspaces.com

looking forward to hear from you,

Imad Choueiri

PS: How to reach you via private message?

idata
Community Manager

Hi guys,

Hwanhee, Iotivity is not an Intel tool, so we don't have any step by step guide to provide from our side. However, I did found this tutorial https://wiki.iotivity.org/running_sample_codes_in_iotivity_0.9_sdk_on_edison https://wiki.iotivity.org/running_sample_codes_in_iotivity_0.9_sdk_on_edison for running samples codes in Iotivity 0.9 on Edison, is actually a pretty complete guide and it should be enough to get you started.

Imad, I just sent you a private message, you should have a new notification about it.

Regards,

-Pablo
hlim12
Novice