cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

I2C Bus 6 Not Working on Intel Edison Arduino Breakout

Jump to solution

I am trying to build a quadcopter using the Edison- It has plenty of tech goodies to get the job done.

I have run into issues recently:

I need to interface with several devices that use I2C protocol. Reading through the datasheet for the Intel Edison Arduino Breakout; I found that the only available I2C bus is bus 6. The bus can be accessed through SDA/SCL or A4/A5. I wired up a Sparkfun accelerometer:

SparkFun Triple Axis Accelerometer Breakout - ADXL345

VCC >> 3V (From Edison Expansion Board)

VSS >> GND

SDA >> SDA

SCL >> SCL

(Also tied the pin that selects between SPI and I2C High)

The I ran the command i2cdetect -r -y 6. This is where everything went horribly wrong: I got a "YOU MAY CONFUSE THE SYSTEM" message. When I decided to move forward the Edison started printing the address table really slow! I tried a billion and one times to figure it out!!!

I'm starting to pull my hair out!

Help would be appreciated!

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Employee

Hello JBTheMan,

These are the commands I entered to set up the I2C interface on my Edison + Mini Breakout board:

echo 28 > /sys/class/gpio/export

echo 27 > /sys/class/gpio/export

echo mode1 > /sys/kernel/debug/gpio_debug/gpio28/current_pinmux

echo mode1 > /sys/kernel/debug/gpio_debug/gpio27/current_pinmux

If I try to run the "i2cdetect -r -y 6" command before I entered them I get a bunch of error messages but after everything seems to be working fine. Did you set up I2C this way? Does it make a difference?

Peter.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Employee

Hello JBTheMan,

These are the commands I entered to set up the I2C interface on my Edison + Mini Breakout board:

echo 28 > /sys/class/gpio/export

echo 27 > /sys/class/gpio/export

echo mode1 > /sys/kernel/debug/gpio_debug/gpio28/current_pinmux

echo mode1 > /sys/kernel/debug/gpio_debug/gpio27/current_pinmux

If I try to run the "i2cdetect -r -y 6" command before I entered them I get a bunch of error messages but after everything seems to be working fine. Did you set up I2C this way? Does it make a difference?

Peter.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Beginner

I will give it a try and then get back to you...