Intel® Makers
Intel® Edison, Intel® Joule™, Intel® Curie™, Intel® Galileo
Announcements
Welcome - This is a Peer-to-Peer Forum only. Intel has discontinued these products but you may find support from other customers on this Forum
9880 Discussions

I2C6 on Edison Breakout Board

AFour
Beginner

Hello,

I am trying to use I2C6 on the Edison Breakout Board via Python and mraa, but I haven't had any luck in doing so, even though everything works fine on I2C1.

I used a BME280 for the following tests:

• Device plugged on I2C1:
    • i2cdetect (i2cdetect -r 1) detects the device at 0x76
    • the Python script below displays '96' for the WhoAmI, as expected

# !/usr/bin/env python

import mraa as m

if __name__ == "__main__":

bme = m.I2c(0)

bme.address(0x76)

print("BME WhoAmI: %s" %bme.readReg(0xD0))

• Device plugged on I2C6:
    • i2cdetect (i2cdetect -r 6) correctly detects the device at 0x76 (while on other posts related to I2C6 on this forum, the device was not even detected)
    • However the exact same Python script as above doesn't work anymore, displaying '0' as WhoAmI
      • setting 'bme = m.I2c(1)' instead of 'bme = m.I2c(0)' doesn't work either

I am using the Yocto image '20160315'. Similar outcomes were observed on other I2C devices.

Do I need to change something in the Python script? Or configure something in Linux?

Thank you for your help!

Armel

2 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi,

When using the command bme = m.I2c(0) you're actually using i2c6, not i2c1. Do you need to connect several i2C devices? If that's the case then the approach to follow is by assigning a different address to each I2C device

You can see more information related to the I2C buses and addresses here

/message/360174# 360174 https://communities.intel.com/message/360174# 360174

/message/344099# 344099 https://communities.intel.com/message/344099# 344099

Sergio

AFour
Beginner

Hi Sergio,

Thanks for the hints.

The key was to specify the right bus number in the line 'bme = m.I2c(X)' below are my findings:

• when the device(s) are plugged into I2C1: any X in [0,8] will work, except 6
  • when the device(s) are plugged into I2C6: X must be 6

Best,

Armel