Intel® Makers
Intel® Edison, Intel® Joule™, Intel® Curie™, Intel® Galileo
Announcements
Welcome - This is a Peer-to-Peer Forum only. Intel has discontinued these products but you may find support from other customers on this Forum
9868 Discussions

ICS hangs after Windows 10 Fall Update

Jde_l4
New Contributor I

Hello,

my ICS has become unstable after upgrading to Windows 10 Fall Update released yesterday. It hangs short after logging in Windows, although I can still move the mouse cursor.

In safe mode it doesn't hang though... Has anyone upgraded Windows 10 successfully?

78 Replies
EKess1
Novice

mhchan and Neil-F were both able to get their ICS to run on Windows 10 10586. They updated to BIOS 0031, deleted all existing partitions, and installed 10586 using a flash drive. I tried to replicate this, but my ICS always freezes while installing Windows during the "Gettings files ready for installation" stage.

Could someone from Intel communicate with the ICS engineering team and tell us if this issue is going to be resolved via BIOS or driver update. If so what is the status of the update (investigating, developing, testing, etc.) and is there an approximate timeline for releasing the update?

AKriz
New Contributor I

The problem with wiping all partitions is that you loose your F8 recovery option and void your warranty.

MFisc9
Beginner

I managed to get to 68% Configuring Files (92% Overall) before the install hanged on three separate ICSs. Able to restore to the previous version of Windows 10 without issue. Currently updating the BIOS to the latest v031 build and will try again.

Does Intel have a tool available to deploy BIOS updates to multiple ICSs at once?

MFisc9
Beginner

Success !!

Have now managed to successfully update three Intel Compute Sticks to Windows 10 10586 by using the normal Windows update process.

From Windows 10 build 10240

1.) Download and install the latest BIOS (v 031) https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25506/BIOS-Update-FCBYT10H-86A- Download BIOS Update [FCBYT10H.86A]

2.) Make sure that you remove any previous versions of Windows using Disk Cleanup

3.) Open Windows Update and install the Windows 10 1511 Update (update took about 25 minutes to install)

The release notes for the BIOS updates does not provide any notion that it fixes an issue involving the Windows 10 update. All Compute Sticks that I have were updated from BIOS release 018 (the default release for most Compute Sticks, manufactured in June/July 2015). Will continue testing to see if there are any issues with the build.

RTaga
Beginner

Hello. Ive tried to update my ICS last night and it happened the same case as most of here. It cant proceed after I login on windows but I tried to update the BIOS and I did hard reset since it didn't fixed the problem after I updated the latest BIOS and lucky me cause all my important files are saved in my external hard drive. Now I am currently running on the new fall update 10586 (attached photo is the proof on the tiles -- Large Tile and the Wide Tile). Hope you guys will fixed the issue too.

EKess1
Novice

I successfully updated from 10240 to 10586 using Windows update. I tried the same process previously and failed. Microsoft must have released a fix?

JBour5
Novice

I tried updating from Windows Update today and it still fails so it doesn't seem like they fixed it.

I was on 10240 with all the updated drivers from the Intel site and BIOS 0031 installed, makes me wonder if there are different batches of ICS with different eMMC which might be causing some people to have problems and others not.

I have even tried booting from a USB stick to do a clean install and it fails to even do that on 10586 (hangs at 9% on coping files) where as 10240 flies through the install process.

Thankfully I have a USB recovery stick so can restore the ICS back to the factory supplied Windows 8.1 with Bing.

AvanL
Beginner

I have got 1511 (10586.3) working on my ICS.

The issue appears to be Cortana.

I started the ICS in safe mode and disabled 'Windows Search' in services and rebooted.

It does mean that search / Cortana does not work, but at least it is usable again.

EDIT: I may have been too soon. Once it is connected to wireless it stops working again.

Jde_l4
New Contributor I

Microsoft has just released a patch that could have something to do with the problems discussed here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3116906 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3116906

For me it's too late because I already sent the ICS to Amazon for a refund.

Miguel_C_Old
Employee

Hi Landcruiser_2000,

Thank you for your findings.

Regards,

MiKe C
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Hi all,

Thank you very much for all the information provided, as Landcruiser_2000 mentioned Microsoft has posted the improvement for Windows 10 version 1511.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3116906 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3116906

Please be aware that for you to upgrade to Windows 10 you will need a BIOS version 0024 or later in your system, if you have a version older than that you will need to update the BIOS in order to do the upgrade.

I really apologize for all this inconvenience and for those who were not able to upgrade or your Intel® Compute Stick does not work anymore after trying to upgrade the unit, please submit a warranty replacement at the following link:

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport Contact Support

Thanks and regards!

EStav
Beginner

I was able to use this:

http://www.hannspree.eu/archiv/content_en/micro_pc_recovery_sop.pdf http://www.hannspree.eu/archiv/content_en/micro_pc_recovery_sop.pdf

I downloaded the image from:

http://spacebox-e.hannspree.eu/download/SNNPDI1B/Image.zip http://spacebox-e.hannspree.eu/download/SNNPDI1B/Image.zip

It restored the ICS to 8.1 after the failed update.

I had 2 sticks that were completely messed up and unable to restore. I have them working again on 8.1.

PBerr
Beginner

Which is fine but did that not negate your warranty with Intel?

JBour5
Novice

The patch KB3116906 makes no difference to the issue, tempted to throw the ICS in the bin where it belongs! lol

Everything else I have including a cheap Windows tablet (based on the same Atom chipset) upgraded to 10586 with zero drama but not the ICS.

I have tried everything on this site and no joy the best I get is installed but freezes about 10 seconds after the desktop loads, 10240 was flawless.

After the many hours I have spent restoring and trying various things I think the bin is probably the best place for it.

EStav
Beginner

John-B, try what I posted above. It worked for me! Recovered 2 of my sticks!

JBour5
Novice

Thanks, I already have this to recover it back to Windows 8.1 with Bing and done many times to try various things to get it upgraded to Windows 10.

It still doesn't help the issue with Windows 10 10586 not working though can get 10240 working fine I have all updates and newest drivers from the intel site and the 0031 BIOS too.

I guess we are going to have to wait for Microsoft / Intel to fix it and stay on Windows 8.1.

ayudh
Novice

i tried again after update BIOS to 0031. instalation is done. and i can login. but, i think it's hang in welcome screen with circle animation beside Welcome text..

IUman
Honored Contributor II

Hi all,

I was able to upgrade the compute stick with no problem from my end, I updated Windows 8.1 first with all the updates available and also I updated the BIOS and it worked fine, but if from your end the compute stick did not work after the update I recommend submitting a warranty replacement for the unit, you can request it here:

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport Contact Support

Regards!

JBour5
Novice

It seems Microsoft has now pulled the 10586 update from Windows Update and also removed the Media Creation Tool too.

My ICS is now running 10240 flawlessly and will try again once Microsoft push out the updated (and hopefully fixed) version to Windows Update.

IUman
Honored Contributor II

Hello John-B,

Thanks for the information you have provided us, I look forward to hear from you on this post.

CKirk4
Novice

Success on November 22 !!

I had been trying a lot of different things with nothing working. About 18 hours ago I tried something different. I used a separate Windows7 laptop to download Microsoft's Media Creation Tool and ran the tool to put the 32-bit x86 Windows 10 onto a USB stick. Then I was able to boot from the USB stick in a USB hub connected to the ICS, and the install went smoothly after that. Some screens made it look like it was hung for a few minutes but with patience it completed the Windows 10 installation. I was surprised to see that it installed the 10240 version of Windows 10, not this latest version that caused so much trouble.

Yesterday I was thinking the trick was to use the separate Windows7 PC since up until that time I had been using a second Compute Stick to run the Media Creation Tool. Now it seems that what really allowed it to work yesterday was that Microsoft withdrew the latest release and put the 10240 version back in place.

It can be a pain in the butt to change the boot order so that the USB stick is the first thing to boot. I had to use a wired keyboard to get into the BIOS with F2 and then I could pair an Apple Bluetooth keyboard. I had to use the Bluetooth keyboard to F2 into bios when I had my USB hub connected so I could make the correct boot order with USB boot first in the list. The other thing I had connected to the USB hub was a Logitech wireless Keyboard+mouse receiver and once I was successfully booting the Windows10 installer from the USB stick I was able to use the Logitech keyboard. So really I only needed the Bluetooth keyboard briefly to be able to F2 into the BIOS once during the process.

In the process of attempting just about everything I could think of I had completely wiped the ICS of all of the partitions and I let the Windows 10 installer do its thing. Folks have mentioned something about not wanting to remove the recovery partition. I found that I was unable to use recovery as a method to recover from last week's debacle so really the recovery partition pre-installed on my Compute Stick was worthless anyway, so blowing it away caused me no concern.

Something that bugs me is that if I try to create a system image from within Windows 10 Backup Settings that it fails part way through the creation of the image. That was extremely frustrating. Maybe Microsoft will fix that in the next release once they figure out how they screwed things up last week and fix that first.

I tried to reach Intel support on Friday and nobody was home or their system was shutdown for maintenance. Now I'm sort of glad I didn't reach them since I'm back up and running now.