cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor I

ICS hangs after Windows 10 Fall Update

Hello,

my ICS has become unstable after upgrading to Windows 10 Fall Update released yesterday. It hangs short after logging in Windows, although I can still move the mouse cursor.

In safe mode it doesn't hang though... Has anyone upgraded Windows 10 successfully?

78 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor I

I tried to update it but the progress was stuck at 40% during the "Installing features and drivers - 23%" stage.

I recovered by hard reset and the previous Windows 10 was restored. Now I'm trying again and I'll let the stick alone for several hours to see what will happen.

So it seems there is a driver issue. Waiting for Intel Customer Support to do the same test ... And oh, before they'll ask, I'm using the latest BIOS and drivers!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Now that you mention it, I'm also using the latest BIOS, and the latest drivers were installed in Windows 10 before the "Fall" update.

As i'm able to start the upgraded Windows 10 in safe mode, I'll try this afternoon to re-install all the official drivers provided by Intel for the ICS, in case the upgrade process changed any of them to an unstable version.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Similar issue for me - Windows 10 hangs after installation of update 10586 - how to revert back?

Highlighted
New Contributor I

So it seems I was lucky that my upgrade stuck because I was simply hard reset the stick and it automatically reversed to previous Windows 10 installation.

And yes, the second time I let the stick powered on for about 8 hours and nothing happened after reaching 40% at the "big circle" during update.

I will wait for Intel's position before trying again the update.

For those who are unable to use the stick after upgrade I think they need to enter safe mode and uninstall the update. I don't know the exact procedure, maybe Landcruiser_2000 could help here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I had the same results (update hung at 40%/23%). Power OFF/ON initiated a reboot into "previous version of Windows" which was Win 10 (whew!), and system became fully functional. I also repeated the update attempt, overnight, with the same results next morning, i.e., update hung at exactly the same point A hard rest bought back Win 10, again. I will make no further attempts to install this update until we get feedback from Intel.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Reinstalling official drivers in safe mode did no good, so i tried restoring windows to default settings. This led me to a Windows 10 with Fall update applied but totally clean... but it also hangs mere seconds after logging in.

Again, in safe mode works ok, so i tried official drivers too, and nothing; in normal mode still hangs.

So i think that i'll try reverting the windows installation. With a bit of luck maybe i can obtain my old windows 10 prior to the fatal Fall update...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Nope, I can't go back to Windows 10 pre-fall patch. I suppose it's because I already did a full system restoration... Seems like my only option is to wait till a fix is found.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Just gone through the identical process to yours, even down to the 40%/23%, ah well at least I know its not me, wish I hadn't pulled that clump of hair out though!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Just horrible.

Update starts then complains there is not enough disk space. Running disk cleanup seems to help some, then update continues for HOURS. Then restart fails to repair.

Truly awful system..

Highlighted
Novice

I got the stick to upgrade but it hung a number of times. Now the stick hangs after 20 or so seconds after boot.

I reverted to an old backup. The new windows update is junk.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

same here.. huhuhu

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Got the same problem, tried to make a bootable micro sd card and reinstalled windows 8.1 but after 48% it got stuck. now no avail. stick is not booting anymore. My only hope is to get is back running with a usb hub and a bootable usb stick. I first had the idea that it was related to an old bios version so I upgraded. Bad idea... .Damn, all my other pc's and tablets are running fine with the fall update.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Same problem

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Same here...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Same issue here. I spoke with Intel and they advised that they can warranty swap the stick but there is no way at this time to fix the issue. So they are only offering the swap which rolls back to windows 8.1. Horrible solution!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Likewise and just logged a ticket so lets see what they say about this mess.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Well I got it back up and running, What I did was a clean install of windows 8.1 from a usb stick. I removed all existing partitions from the ICS, and did a new install. The USB stick I used was uefi formatted and I used a windows 8.1 Pro iso.

Greetz

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Has anyone tried complete re-install of Win 10 with the 10586 ISO?

http://www.redmondpie.com/download-windows-10-1511-build-10586-iso-november-update/ Download Windows 10 1511 Build 10586 ISO [November Update] | Redmond Pie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor II

Hi,

Just to make sure, did any one of you follow the Windows® 10 Upgrade Instructions from the Intel website?

You can follow the steps here:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/stck1a32wfc/sb/CS-035724.htm Intel® Compute Stick STCK1A32WFC — Windows® 10 Upgrade Instructions

We have upgraded the ICS following those steps, first we updated the BIOS to the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25506/BIOS-Update-FCBYT10H-86A- latest BIOS version and Windows updated before I began with the upgrade.

In case you need the BIOS Update Instructions you can see it here:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-035444.htm Intel® Compute Stick — Power Button Menu BIOS Update Instructions

0 Kudos