Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Inquiry into Intel® Galileo Gen 2 and the possible use of USB host as power supply for a computer fan controlled by the Galileo and a relay.

Jump to solution
Hello and thank you for taking the time into reading and responding into this inquiry. First off a little information on this inquiry.

The project I'm working on that brought up this inquiry was for the concern of heat buildup of the Galileo in the housing it will be contained in and its location. After reflection of past experience and research, I determine that it was possible to use a USB cable that was spliced and wired correctly with a relay and the Galileo programmed with a temperature sensor to control the fan when needed so that the Galileo and anything else will not get damage from heat.

Now I've played with designs before with different devices in the past and have some understanding of computer hardware and their specifics to comprehend the issues that I have stumbled across or have researched into enough to come to a decision to try a method kinda like this inquiry.

So now onto the question at hand.

• The question I was wondering about is it possible to utilize the USB host on the Intel® Galileo Gen 2 as the power supply for this application.

The following is the list of items I'm using because of limitations and what I know to address any questions or concerns about the basis of this inquire, and then my concerns with closing remarks after concerns are listed.

What I know:

Concerns:
  • Didn't know if Intel® Galileo Gen 2 could handle this because the specifics on this board were a little confusing on some aspects while other micro-controller boards I've used provided such details. The power draws on the pins were clear but as noted, there are some details I was lost on and it makes me very cautious.
  • In the end I didn't want to damage my chance of using an expensive board to handle a project and be hindered because of a hunch that could not be decided on from experience or research.
  • Waste of limited resources

So with that I thank anyone who responds on this and the expansion of understanding of computer hardware and the Intel® Galileo Gen 2 background or ra...

Accepted Solutions
Sergio_A_Intel
Employee

Hi,

The USB host port of the Galileo Gen 2 works the same as a standard USB Type A port. It works with 5V/500mA. If you are planning to connect a device that will draw more power than this then I'd suggest you to think of an alternative power method for your device. Demanding too much current from the port may damage it and the board. The port is mainly used for low power applications and for devices whose power intake will not vary drastically.

The Galileo Gen 2 can also provide power from the 5V and 3.3V ports. These are located in the power strip next to the analog ports.

I'd suggest you to look at http://www.intel.com/support/galileo/sb/CS-035168.htm Intel® Galileo Gen 2 Board — Schematic and look how the USB host and 5V/3.3V ports are connected to see how much power the regulators can provide to see if it fits your application.

Sergio

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Sergio_A_Intel
Employee

Hi,

The USB host port of the Galileo Gen 2 works the same as a standard USB Type A port. It works with 5V/500mA. If you are planning to connect a device that will draw more power than this then I'd suggest you to think of an alternative power method for your device. Demanding too much current from the port may damage it and the board. The port is mainly used for low power applications and for devices whose power intake will not vary drastically.

The Galileo Gen 2 can also provide power from the 5V and 3.3V ports. These are located in the power strip next to the analog ports.

I'd suggest you to look at http://www.intel.com/support/galileo/sb/CS-035168.htm Intel® Galileo Gen 2 Board — Schematic and look how the USB host and 5V/3.3V ports are connected to see how much power the regulators can provide to see if it fits your application.

Sergio

View solution in original post