Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
msand18
Beginner

Installing Intel® System Studio IoT Edition in a VM

I am attempting to install Intel System Studio (ISS) IoT Edition in a virtual machine, host OS Windows 10, guest OS Ubuntu 16.04.

When I get to the actual ISS-IOT installer I see the error in the attached screenshot, "This computer does not have VT-X/AMD-v enabled". My processor is a i7-4710HQ, which does support VT-X. The VM setup under VirtualBox lists VT-X under Acceleration. (I also tried VMWare). My BIOS does not have a setting for VT-X, the Acer documentation says that it is always on.

The actual error text appears to come from Docker, which to me suggests that the issue is nested VMs, which seems to be an issue with Windows hosted VMs.

My questions is, does anyone know how to get ISS-IOT working in a Linux VM on a windows host, or does anyone know that it definitely won't work?

thanks, Michael

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello MichaelSander,

Thank you for interest in the Intel® Joule™ Products.

Regarding your concern, it is possible to install Intel System Studio IoT Edition in a nested virtualization environment, so the issue you are experiencing is not related to your OS combination.

I found a link where several ways to solve your issue have been discussed ( https://github.com/docker/machine/issues/2256). Enabling hypervisor applications (nested virtualization) seems to help most of the users that experienced the "This computer doesn't have VT-X/AMD-v enabled" error.

Regards,

Andres
idata
Community Manager

Hello MichaelSander,

I was wondering if you had the chance to try the suggestion provided.

Regards,

Andres
msand18
Beginner

I think you on to something with enabling Hyper-V. Hyper-V is not supported by Windows 10 Home, which I am currently running.

So maybe a better question would have been:

Can I run ISS-IOT, in a Linux VM, where the Windows 10 host OS supports VT-X but not Hyper-V ?

I think the answer is probably no. The answer may possibly depend on the specific VMware or VirtualBox product you are using, but the basic products I tried did not work.

I guess you can mark this resolved because I solved the problem by setting up a non-virtual Linux server and running ISS-IOT on that.

thanks,

idata
Community Manager

Hello MichaelSander,

I'm glad to hear that you could find a solution to your issue.

You are right, the Hyper-V support is needed in order to run the Linux Virtual Machine with Windows 10 as host.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with the community, we really appreciate it.

Regards,

Andres