Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Installing Ubuntu core on Joule

The promotional posts around the internet claim that Ubuntu core is supported on Joule. How do I install this, tried the directions for Nuc on the Ubuntu site, but no luck. Is there a special build somewhere for this? It is the main reason I bought it at IDF. I want to use it with ROS, and the installation of ROS requires APT-GET which is not supported on Ostro.

thanks

Wes

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted

Apologies for any confusion, however support for Ubuntu is still currently in the works, our plan is to have it in place before the end of the year.

Thanks

Chris

0 Kudos
Highlighted

has preliminary instructions that show how to install Ubuntu. I've only read it quickly but it looks like its a standard install, with a hack to reformat/repartition the eMMC,

There's more info and some QA at .

Note this is an install of Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop, not the Ubuntu Core, aka Snappy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

BTW, if you go this route, I recommend installing xubuntu. The drivers in this version of Ubuntu are not yet optimized for the Joule, so things like compiz take more of the CPU than they should. In my opinion though xubuntu is a better UI anyhow

The process is also not has hard as it looks, and if you ever want to go back to the standard Linux, that is still possible without too much trouble.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

To install Ubuntu Core, there is now a release available: look at https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/snappy/start/intel-joule/ Intel Joule | Ubuntu developer portal . That page also documents how to install desktop Ubuntu (which I have already successfully installed ROS Kinetic under and run a SLAM navigation stack on) but there are couple of issues in the docs, mentioned in the thread at . However, read this second thread with care since the it also documents a now-obsolete hacky way to install Ubuntu that is no longer recommended. Now that there is an official release from Canonical with the proper drivers, that is the preferred installation.

0 Kudos