cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Intel Compute Stick - Black Screen after (re)boot

Hello all,

We are using multiple STK1AW32SC Intel Compute Sticks for our digital signage network.

Several of these devices do either:

a) show a black screen (no cursor or other sign of life except for the blue LED) when the device is booted the first time;

b) show a black screen (no cursor or other sign of life except for the blue LED) when Windows 10 is rebooted (either through Start-menu or with help of console

This can be solved (temporarily) by switching the power off by holding the on/off button for a couple of seconds. Blue LED switches off. After pressing the on/off button again, the device usually switches on again and boots like it used to.

But... some of our devices reboot every couple of weeks (or months) to give it a 'fresh start' every now and then. Because of the problem described above, we are sometimes unable to access our devices.

What can cause this and how can it be solved? If any further information is required, I will provide what is asked for.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

The scheduled reboots are made in Windows' Task Scheduler.

The problem either exist with Task Scheduler as with the usual Windows reboot.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Wouter.M,

Thank you for joining the Intel® community. My apologies for the inconvenience.

I would like to know if by any chance you know what is the BIOS version install in these units.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello Amy,

One of our most recent devices (serial number GESC72800***) has BIOS SCCHTAX5.86A.0029.2016.0914.1508

One of the first devices - purchased somewhere around November 2016 - (serial number GESC64500***) has the same version.

I do notice that this is not the most recent BIOS version for the STK1AW32SC sticks... So I bet you are going to advice me to update the BIOS on all our Intel Compute Sticks.

This will be hell of a job, considering the fact that we have a couple of 100 of these devices all over the country. Yes; we are able to control them remotely, but it still feels like updating the BIOS is a shot in the dark.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Sure I understand. So, let's try the following; get one of your fully working units and get the BIOS version installed on it, then get one of the units that is showing this behavior and update to the version on the Intel® Compute Stick that is working. You can also get one of the units with the behavior and update it to the latest BIOS versions. If any of these suggestion work, you could try that on a bigger scale.

Find the BIOS versions here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/91065/Intel-Compute-Stick-STK1AW32SC Downloads for Intel® Compute Stick STK1AW32SC, also the update methods here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-compute-stick/000005961.html BIOS Update Instructions for Intel® Compute Stick

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

/thread/117656 Wouter.M,

If you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello,

One of our recently updated Intel Compute Sticks just 'hanged' after a regular reboot (through Windows Start menu).

Windows shuts down nicely, but does only show a black screen when it should be rebooting. No 'Intel'-logo is shown whatsoever.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Can you see the splash screen with the other units?

What is the monitor/TV model you are using?

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Usually the splash screen is shown after which Windows starts booting.

The problem occurs on different devices with different screens (both TV screens, PC monitors, professional screens and billboards).

When the problem occurs we are not able to access the device through LogMeIn so it is not just the problem of a blank screen. It is a problem of not powering up at all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Please try the following driver in one of your updated units; https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25730/System-on-a-Chip-SoC-Driver-Package-for-Intel-Comput... Download System-on-a-Chip (SoC) Driver Package for Intel® Compute Stick STK1AW32SC

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

/thread/117656 Wouter.M, hope you were able to test the SoC driver.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

One one of our testing devices the error occurs right now.

The device is powered on (blue light is burning constantly) but no video output.

Since the Intel splash screen does not show at all I do not understand how Windows drivers can solve this issue. Windows does not even boot, so how can this be driver-related?

On the device that is having problems right now we have already installed all Windows updates and flashed the BIOS to the most recent version.

Is there something we can do to backtrack this problem now that we have the issue occurring on one of our testing devices?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Let me double check this matter /thread/117656 Wouter.M, I will update the thread as soon as possible.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

/thread/117656 Wouter.M,

Could you please provide your https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Download Intel® System Support Utility for Windows* report? We would like to gather more information for debugging purposes. One more thing, I would like to know regarding your units is if you have the count of how many units are affect by this behavior. You mentioned that you have couple of 100 of these devices all over the country, and based on that we would like to get a statistic of how many are of these are actually affected.

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" in the top right corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear in the bottom right corner of the response box.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

intel_corp

I have attached the log.

I think the problem has occurred on 5-10 % of all our devices. In most instances the problem occurs once and the device works fine after a 'reset' (switched off with the on/off button and then powered on with that same button).

In a couple of cases the problem keeps coming back.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thank you for the file and the information.

I just want to let you know that for the debug process the device needs to be fully updated, and I noticed that you are running BIOS 35. Could you please update that version to the latest which is 37? You can find the file here; https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27156/Compute-Stick-BIOS-Update-SCCHTAX5-86A-?product=9106... Download BIOS Update [SCCHTAX5.86A] and the instructions here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006039/boards-and-kits/intel-compute-sti... F7 BIOS Update Instructions for Intel® Compute Stick.

Please let me know if the unit behaves differently with this new BIOS version, and if the issue persists please run the report one more time in order to start with the debug process.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

/thread/117656 Wouter.M,

If you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos