cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Intel Compute Stick - WiFi Issues

Hi,

We have bought about, 50 Compute Sticks (STK1AW32SC) to use across our company's workfloor.

Everything worked fine, until recently multiple sticks started to show serious issues when it came to WiFi conenctivity & speed.

We are often logging 900+ ms - 0.2Mbit/s download and 0.03Mbit/s upload speeds and never getting any better than 400+ ms - 5Mbit/s download and 0.5Mbit/s upload anymore.

We used to have average speeds of 50ms - 50 & 10....

This blocks our clientel from quickly using our internal ERP system and is a huge problem for us,

so I guess i'll explain what we're running exactly, when and how the issues started and what i've tried / noticed...

If any information you need is missing, feel free to ask, I am willing to put my time into fixing this and wanna get to the bottom of this.

ps.: My apologies if I mistype some words, English is not my native language

What are we running?

- On our workfloor, we have about 50 of your compute sticks, each hooked up to a touchscreen, using a barcode scanner our employees can update our ERP system to track production.

- All of the sticks are the same model: STK1AW32SC & they are all about 5months old

- Our network is running on multiple https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-pro/ Ubiquity Access Points (Unifi AP AC Pro) which give us one network being boosted all over the company.

- All the sticks are running the latest Microsoft Windows build ( Windows 10 Pro - v1803 - OS Build: 17134.48 )

- All the sticks are connected through wifi

When and how the issues started?

So at first everything ran correctly, no issues, but a couple of weeks ago, random sticks have been getting these connectivity issues at random moments.

So one day Stick 1, Stick 17 & Stick 43 would fail on different times, and another day Stick 6, 2, 32 would fail.

Some sticks are getting these issues more often than others since this started.

What have I tried / learned so far?

Well, there is a LOT, so I figure, I'm gonna separate these into the possible culprits I researched.

& let me just say first:

I tried rebooting everything (routers, network, servers, sticks, ...)

Network:

So obviously when you have connectivity issues the first place you look is your network, so what have I done?

See if connected to right network, or if the device was being disconnected over time and reconnecting:

No network dc occured at all, ubiquity controlpanel also shows the device as connected since the start of the day

Check signal strength on both my laptop and the stick at the location the issue occured:

No issues, both strong signal

Check for speed test on other devices to make sure the network speed isn't just slow ?

All other pc's & my laptop (which i take with me to stick location) have 50ms, 90Mbit & 20Mbit speeds

+ Ubiquity shows the device at only 10% bandwith usage (the highest peaks)

Check if disconnecting and reconnecting give me issues ?

The device takes unusually long to connect to the network, but once it does, it stays connected

Check if the network WLAN type is an issue (5GHz / 2.4 & Ac / a / b/ c )

Set up a separate network for the compute sticks, tried all modes, no changes

See if the DHCP server is having issues asigning an IP-address

No issues found, more than plenty ip-addresses available

Intel Compute Stick:

Check anything is wrong with sticks, buy couple of new ones to replace

No effect

Reinstall / reset the sticks completely

No effect

Update BIOS & WiFi driver

No effect

Disable bluetooth, stop using the USB 3.0 port ? (saw on some threads that these might help)

No effect

Turn dynamic wifi option off / on in BIOS

No effect

Windows (OS):

Go back to earlier build ?

No effect

Update drivers, check if any issues are found ?

No issues are found, everything up to date

Reset wifi adapter, reset everything?

No effect

Switched to ubuntu (tried 14.04LTS & 18.04)?

No improvements</p...

0 Kudos
29 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

Re: Intel Compute Stick - WiFi Issues

Have you tried completely disabling the 2.4GHz band? There are a *lot* of things using this band -- including USB 3.0 -- and defining a separate network does not help.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Having a separate network that only operates on the 5GHz band & Having a network that only operates on the 2.4GHz band

and finally confirming that the stick is connecting over the correct band, does nothing.

Same issues same slow speeds same horrid ping...

Going any further than that, and disabling the 2.4 band on all networks (even the ones the stick isn't using), is not possible, (production devices are connected over 2.4)

but I don't see why a network unused by the stick is of any importance to it's speeds ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

If you are seeing the same problem using only the 5GHz band, then, as you surmised, it isn't as a result of the 2.4GHz band overloading/interference issues.

In a lot of the cases that I have read here concerning similar issues, the culprit was found to be the Router. Have you investigated this possibility?

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Yes, I had the same concern since these Ubiquity AP's whilst not overly complicated do give us a modern network with

a unified SSID and extreme encryption. So, I had taken the stick home with me as well as given it to an ex-colleague.

This way we have tried connecting it to my home network and the network of my old firm,

both give us the same (horrid) speeds, while other pc's on these networks show off speeds of 100+ Mbps download and 10+ Mbps upload.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

I never caught this before (the problem of saying too much in the original post) - When you say that you tried using a USB WiFi adapter, was this an Intel-based adapter or someone else's (RealTek, etc.)? If this is having the same problems, it is definitely pointing to the issue being something else. Hhmmm...

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I know, we leaned a lot to that conclusion as well, different WiFi adapter doesn't work means it's our network,

but then when testing in my home on a residential network I still have the same problem, with and without the wifi adapter.

On both my home network as the network at my workplace, the wifi works for every other device...

Tablets, Cellphones, Laptops, Desktops all work perfectly fine, we even have some Older models (pre-2010).

We bought another mini-computer to try and test the network being the culprit (https://www.amazon.com/MINIX-X5-Z8350-Dual-Band-Ethernet-Technology/dp/B0749NR2KJ/ https://www.amazon.com/MINIX-X5-Z8350-Dual-Band-Ethernet-Technology/dp/B0749NR2KJ/).

This pc is up and connected with: 25Ms - 40Mbps & 15Mbps and is (for now) working fine, remember the sticks worked for over 3 months before showing issues as well ...

Oh and FYI, Intel support asked me to give them the results of the SSU program on three of the sticks that had issues,

so I did on 1 x Freshly resetted and updated stick (with the issue ofc) and 2 x already running sticks in the workshop...

https://we.tl/tAQ6Yjf0ia https://we.tl/tAQ6Yjf0ia

PS.: I know i said a lot, but I also sent this to support and I wanted them to have all the info they could ask for...

Also I feel like there are a lot of other people out there with the same issue (*) and if they come by this thread i want them to have all these options to try for themselves and hopefully find a solution as well,

* https://www.google.be/search?ei=VHE8W8GTEYOckwW4m68o&q=intel+compute+stick+wifi+problems&oq=intel+co... https://www.google.be/search?ei=VHE8W8GTEYOckwW4m68o&q=intel+compute+stick+wifi+problems&oq=intel+co...

(this many sites, some forum threads I read and how well known this issue is, leads me to believe there are other people with the same issues)

PPS.: By the way I wanna thank you Scott, for taking the time so far to try and help me out (I realised I hadn't even done that)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello rafaello104,

I know that you have performed extensive troubleshooting to resolve the connectivity and performance issues reported. I would like to add that you can also set the power management to maximum performance and uncheck this setting: Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

Here is the link with the steps:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005879/network-and-i-o/wireless-networki...

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Yes I had found that setting on my search for a solution already and had unchecked it.

I thought at that point that one was going to fix my issues but it didn't...

This is starting to become a real issue, we have now about 17 sticks failing...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello rafaello104,

Thank you for your response.

Another troubleshooting step you can try is transfer a file between an Intel® Compute Stick and another computer on the same network to check the transfer speeds. If the issue does not occur when transferring files on the same network, then your router may be causing these issues.

Additionally, please make sure that all the devices are using the Intel® Compute Stick power adapter since this can also be a power management problem.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello rafaello104,

Were you able to perform the troubleshooting step provided. Have these problems been resolved?

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi,

Sorry I did not see your latest message until now,

I tried your idea, with all the folowing tests i transfered both one large and many small files over WiFi,

from the same network and same physical location (i placed the different PC's next to each other to be 100% sure of validity of this test).

1st I transferred files between:

PC -> NAS

STICK -> NAS

2nd I did the same for:

PC-> Different PC

STICK -> Different STICK

The results were slower for the transfers were a stick was involved, much slower usually about 25-10% of the speed.

I also noticed a pretty stable transfer speed on pc's and a wobbly, unstable one on the sticks.

ps.: Don't know if you have seen this, but I actually took some of the problem sticks home with me & to my old employer just to test out different routers and network setups. So we could establish wether the router was the issue, which it turned out, it isn't since all other networks / routers gave me the same issues on the stick.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello rafaello104,

Thank you for your response.

I will do further research to know how we can approach this issue.

I will get back to you soon.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello rafaello104,

I am writing to let you know that we are working on these issues reported.

I will get back to you as soon as I have an update.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Are the locations of your sticks in a humid or unusually hot location? Can you try cooling them with a small fan? I have noticed that when plugged in directly to a TV or monitor, they become hot and randomly loose connection. Try using an HDMI extension cable and get them away from the TV/Monitor. Also, I have mine attached to the wall with sticky tack. This keeps the power cable away from the wifi antenna. Seemed to help.

~BS

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

So here are the answers in order

1) No they are not in a humid or hot location

2) We use a hdmi extender so we don't have to put the sticks on the back of screens

3) I don't seem to have external wifi antennas so i'm afraid the last option is not really changeable for me

Though thanks for the tips!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi rafaello104

I work for Intel Customer Support and I have been looking into this report and wondering how can we help you.

I would recommend to take this issue directly to customer support as it seems very specific and we may also need to take additional actions such as have some units replaced and perhaps have a couple of them shipped to Intel Customer Support for testing.

Would you mind sending me a Private Message with your phone and shipping address so that we can contact you directly? Can you include a quick list of at least 3 to 5 affected units - SA number and Serial number so that I can work on getting them replaced and then we can go from there.

If you want to call us, here is the contact us information: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @5 Contact Intel Support please make reference to case number 3505340.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Following this up through intel support, i'll post when i have updates

(sorry for the previous post rguevara didn't realize you were actual intel support, my bad)

And no, this issue hasn't been fixed yet (since post has been marked: "Assumed Answered"), it's not

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

Don't read anything into the "Assumed Answered". This is something that the hosting software does automatically and it means absolutely nothing - but it does wake folks up and their reaction lets ICS know what issues remain important.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

That actually sounds logical,

thanks for the info

0 Kudos