Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JDubi
Novice

Intel Compute stick w/Ethernet?

Jump to solution

Hello:

Has anyone had success running a Compute Stick with a USB to Ethernet adapter? The environment we're looking to run in may not be ideal for wireless..

Thanks!

1 Solution
kfchoong
New Contributor II

Hi,

Yes I have used a Compute Stick with a USB ethernet adapter. I am using a D-Link (DUB-1312). Do take note that you will have to install the driver and when you are running the Compute Stick, use the original power adapter with the original usb power cable. I was using a usb extension cable with the original usb power cable and the Compute Stick will shutdown randomly shortly after it boots up. But once I remove the extension cable, using only the original usb power cable, the problem goes away.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi jsdoob,

Thank you for contacting Intel. I will move your post to Compute Stick group for handling.

Sincerely,

Sandy

kfchoong
New Contributor II

Hi,

Yes I have used a Compute Stick with a USB ethernet adapter. I am using a D-Link (DUB-1312). Do take note that you will have to install the driver and when you are running the Compute Stick, use the original power adapter with the original usb power cable. I was using a usb extension cable with the original usb power cable and the Compute Stick will shutdown randomly shortly after it boots up. But once I remove the extension cable, using only the original usb power cable, the problem goes away.

View solution in original post

JDubi
Novice

Choong:

Thanks very much for the info; that's very helpful. Any issues with heating, latency, bandwidth, etc?

Cheers..

Josh

kfchoong
New Contributor II

So far, I don't have any issue with heat as I am only running a dashboard showing some statistics. Again, due to my usage, performance seems ok. I have not run any benchmarking tools on it, so the feedback is very much based on my perception.

chili
Novice

I use a Plugable USB 2.0 ethernet and it works just fine. I'm running Windows 10 and did not need to load any drivers to make it work I have it plugged into a powered usb hub. I have not run any performance tools on it either, but it seems to work just fine as is.

JDubi
Novice

Thanks Chilinski, that's good info..

Cheers...

jsdoob

Cesar_B_Intel
Employee

Hello all,

We are glad to hear Choong's answer helped you.

Please take into consideration the Intel® Compute Stick is powered through a 5V DC connector on the side. The maximum current rating is 2A.

Note:The supplied power adapter and cable are required to power the Intel Compute Stick. Powering the Intel Compute Stick via any other power source is not supported.

Regards,

Caesar B_Intel.

ESabl
Beginner

I'm running the ICS w\Win10 and the Anker 4 port hub w\ethernet. No external power supply to the hub. Just the ICS power supply. Have it using wired LAN and Logitech K400 wireless KB+trackpad. I've hooked up USB thumbdrives. No issues whatsoever.

Cesar_B_Intel
Employee

Hello DA_MAXX,

Thank you for sharing your findings.

I hope this helps other users in the Intel Communities Forums.

Regards,

Caesar B_Intel.