cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TD2
Novice

Intel Edison Arduino Board Connecting problem

Hi,

I got a new intel edison arduino board and I can see the drive and the LED blinks, but I cant see anything in the drive. It is basically empty because I checked its properties. I also tried flashing the firmware but still nothing showed up. Also I got the phone flash tool lite which I used to flash ofcourse, but still nothing showed up. Can anybody please tell me what I am not doing right here? I use an ubuntu distribution just for the records..Many Thanks

11 Replies
EWolc
New Contributor I

Did you connect both usb cables? Is your cable working properly? I don't understand your exact problem but https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/edison-getting-started-guide this guide I showed someone earlier would be a good place to start.

TD2
Novice

Hi Prescott,

Thank you for your reply. Yes I connected both cables. My problem again is that when I plug in the cables, the removable storage device called "Edison" shows up, but they is no file in the drive. That is the problem, and I cant move further. I will still go through the guide you sent and see what I am missing out. But basically, that is what I am battling with. I went ahead to flash the firmware thinking that might resolve the problem or reset it somehow to its default, but it was unsuccessful.

Cheers

EWolc
New Contributor I

What file are you expecting to find? How big is the drive showing up as?

TD2
Novice

Hi there,

according to the initial setup from : https://software.intel.com/en-us/installing-firmware-with-flash-tool-linux IoT - Installing Flash Tool Lite on Linux* | Intel® Developer Zone I am suppose to see this:

But when I connect my board, I dont have those and its empty. Below is what I see and have?

EWolc
New Contributor I

Can you still run blink? If not, there may have been a problem when you unsuccessfully flashed the Edison. If this is the case I would suggest contacting Intel on getting a replacement or an alternative flashing method.

Hope I helped

TD2
Novice

I successfully flashed the Edison, atleast that is what it said... and its blinks as normal.. Maybe as you said, I will have to contact intel on getting a replacement or an alternative flashing method...

Many thanks

DRoss4
Novice

I don't think this is an issue. My Edison shows the same, but runs with no problem projects from Eclipse and XDK. What you see as a mass storage drive when you plug in the usb cable is only a part of Edison's memory. The OS is stored somewhere else, and may be working as expected. Did you try to connect to it with Putty?

TD2
Novice

after flashing the firmware, I am suppose to see the files in the drives init? https://software.intel.com/en-us/flashing-firmware-on-your-intel-edison-board-linux https://software.intel.com/en-us/flashing-firmware-on-your-intel-edison-board-linux

before I can go to the next step which is setting up a serial terminal. And no am not sure I am suppose to connect to PuTTY at this stage. So basically, that is what I am battling with... .. But thanks for your reply...

Diego_V_Intel
Employee

Hello Tam09,

The scenario you described is completely normal. After flashing the Edison with the Flash Tool Lite, you shouldn't see anything in the Edison's drive. It should be empty just as you explained.

The confusion is because there was another method to flash the Edison. This method consisted on copy and paste the image files directly in the Edison's drive. However, this method is no longer used, and now the Flash Tool Lite method is the one that should be used to flash the Edison. Please check the following document where there are more details about the old and the new flashing methods:

Your Edison is working as it should. You don't have to be worried about it.

Regards,

Diego.

TD2
Novice

I will see to it and if everything works, I will get back to you. Thank you very much for putting my mind at ease... The other respondents were equally very helpful...

TD2
Novice

Yeap.. its all good for now...

Cheers Diego...