Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BKish
Novice

Intel Edison Breakout board power supply

I wanted to power Edison module using a rechargeable battery for robotic application. But I am unaware of power sources that are available which suits better to supply required voltage of 5v-9v. Can you please suggest that are available?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi Bhanukishan,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel® Edison platform.

According to the http://download.intel.com/support/edison/sb/edisonbreakout_hg_331190006.pdf Intel Edison breakout board hardware guide, the J2 is the battery connector and if you want to power your board with a lithium-ion battery, you have to attach it to J2, J2 only accepts 4.2 Vmax. We recommend a battery with a built-in thermistor, this thermistor should be attached to the charger on the breakout board (J1), another detail, if you power the board with a battery, it will not supply power as a USB host.

Therefore, Intel® Edison was designed not to support a specific power delivery method or specific battery chemistry and capacity range. This portion of the design is left to the end-user.

Moreover, we would like to suggest you to take a look at these links regarding using the Edison with a battery attach to J2 or J21 (range 7V-15V), we believe you will find useful information:
  • /docs/DOC-23878 Getting Started with Intel® Edison Mini Breakout Board, "Powering the Mini-breakout Board" section .
  • /message/255542# 255542 Edison Mini Breakout Board Battery
  • /message/281226# 281226 9V battery not powering Edison mini breakout board (J21)

Hope this information helps.

Regards,

-Yermi A.
BKish
Novice

I own Intel Edison Arduino Breakout board. Does your answer applies to this board too?

idata
Community Manager

Hi Bhanukishan,

Absolutely, this applies to the Intel Arduino Expansion board too, however, the jumper heads are different, for example, the thermistor should be connected to J13 instead of J1. Please take a look at the http://download.intel.com/support/edison/sb/edisonarduino_hg_331191007.pdf Intel® Edison Kit for Arduino* Hardware Guide for more details.

Additionally, we would like to share these other links that have very useful information:
  • /message/443638# 443638 Powering Intel Edison Arduino Breakout
  • /message/431344# 431344 When to use J2 and its connected battery
  • /docs/DOC-23455 Intel® Edison kit for Arduino – Jumper Headers

Hope this information helps, also, if you have any other question please let me know.

Regards,

-Yermi A.