cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CFERR17
New Contributor I

Intel Edison Mass Storage Name

Hi,

On windows, when i put my Edison on the good mode, i see a new drive.

The name of the drise is for example E:Edison in the windows explorer.

I would like to rename Edison to something else (myProject, myDrive or whatever ).

Do you have any idea ? I guess it is link with partition name.

Sincerly,

Christophe

12 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi Christophe,

Thank you for contacting us.

As I understand from your description is you want to change the name of the drive as in the picture below, is this correct?

The default name of (D:) was "EDISON" and now it's changed to "TESTEDISON". If this is what you want to do the just simply right-click on (D:) and go to Properties. There you'll be prompted with the option to change the name.

Let us know if this is what you wanted to do.

-Sergio

CFERR17
New Contributor I

Hi,

Thanks Sergio

I know this is possible. But I'd like to change this name in my Yocto image. Where can i set this name in my Yocto Config (or even with a Linux command line).

Sincerly,

Christophe

idata
Community Manager

I've never tried to do this before and I'm not sure why your goal is to change the partition name from console, but I looked for some information online and found that the file that contains the partition name in the Edison image is /dev/disk/by-label# . This file name can be changed with the mv command.

Hopefully, this points you in the right direction. Let us know if you manage to change the partition name.

We'll be waiting for your results.

-Sergio

idata
Community Manager

Hi Christophe,

We were wondering if you managed to rename the Edison's drive. Please let us know if you still need assistance with this case.

-Sergio

CFERR17
New Contributor I

Hi,

If i follow /disk/dev/by-label hints, i can't do what i want (i am not able to find where the name "edison" is set)

If i use Windows (right-click on the name as suggested in your first message), it's OK. Even if i reboot or on another computer, it's OK.

So, where is this data stored in the edison ? How can i set this value programmatically ?

Thanks in advance,

Sincerly,

Christophe

idata
Community Manager

We'll do some research to try and find a way to change this partition name directly from console. We'll contact you as soon as we have more information.

-Sergio

idata
Community Manager

Hi Christophe,

Thank you for your patience. After working on your case we found a way to change the name using the latest source files (https://iotdk.intel.com/src/3.5/edison/ https://iotdk.intel.com/src/3.5/edison/ ).

Download this script http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-intel-edison/tree/meta-intel-edison-distro/recipes-co... http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-intel-edison/tree/meta-intel-edison-distro/recipes-co...

Change the following line in the above script (which is part of the meta-intel-edison, yocto project) -- the text in the quotes is the new label name

format update partition

mkfs.vfat /dev/loop0 -n "Edison" -F 32

These steps should allow you to change the name.

We've a few additional comments/questions:

Changing the label is not recommended and the method provided might not work with all builds and configurations (use at own risk)

We'd like to understand why you wish to change the name, is there an important use-case you can share?

Let us know if this works for you.

-Sergio A

idata
Community Manager

Hi Christophe,

Do you still need assistance with this case? Were you able to try our suggestion?

We'll be waiting for your response.

-Sergio A

CFERR17
New Contributor I

Hi,

It is perfect,

Thank you.

Have a nice day,

Christophe

idata
Community Manager

Hi Christophe,

You're welcome! Don't hesitate to contact us again if help is needed. We're here to help.

Regards,

-Sergio

CFERR17
New Contributor I

Hi,

It works as expected.

Your question : We'd like to understand why you wish to change the name, is there an important use-case you can share?

The intel edison module is embedded in a more global product. This product need sometimes to be updated. We use the fat partition to put update and when the edison reboot, it applies updates.

So, we can detect the partition name and it's the product name instead of "edison".

Regards,

Christophe

idata
Community Manager

Thank you very much for this information. Feel free to contact us again if help is needed.

Regards,

-Sergio A