Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ASter3
Novice

Intel Edison Module Overheating (Burning hot)

Hi everyone,

I recently attached my Edison boards to a stack of Sparkfun boards including the:

- Battery block

- Base block

- 9DOF block

- uSD card block

I soldered a JST connector onto the battery block and attached a 2000mAh Li-Ion battery. Basically, this setup has been working for me for the past month with no problems and yesterday one of my Intel Edison boards heated up significantly to the point where I smelled it burning, and in fact it burnt my finger when I touched it. Today, the board no longer works at all.

The odd thing is that my second board which is in similar conditions began heating up significantly today as well. I moved it off of the stack and put it onto the large Arduino breakout board with no connections other than the serial connection to the console and the power jack, and it is still heating up significantly to the point where I'm scared of leaving on and frying it.

This appears to be a hardware issue... Does anyone have any ideas as to what could have caused it? Any and all ideas are welcome!

8 Replies
Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi ECEngineer,

Are both Edison boards being attached to the same stack? Could you please take a picture of the whole configuration?

So you haven't made any changes to this setup in the last month, am I right? Did you soldered the JST connector onto the battery block and attached the 2000mAh Li-Ion battery since the very beginning? I just want to make sure that nothing was changed during this period, if this is the case please let us know what the change was.

Regards,

Pablo

ASter3
Novice

Hi PabloM_Intel,

The boards are on individual stacks as shown in the attached photos below.

I added the bottom two blocks to the larger stack, namely he GPIO and ADC blocks from Sparkfun. The only think I've done with the smaller stack is charge the battery and ssh into Yocto Linux and get the 9DOF block running properly. I soldered the JST connectors on and connected the batteries a while ago, although I have removed the batteries as seen in the second photo. I always use the switch on the battery block to toggle the power to the Edison.

I didn't modify the hardware of the smaller stack at all, and it seems as if both Edison's have died. Additionally, the Edison on the left had a blink LED Node.JS code on it prior to this and the code still executes when re-attached to the larger blue Arduino breakout board. It almost appears as if the microcontroller still works on that one while Linux and all Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity has stopped. I tried connecting to the edisons serially on the blue Arduino board and nothing showed up on the terminal.

Thanks!

Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi ECEngineer,

Several factors may be causing the issue, but given the characteristics of the issue chances are that the problem is caused by the battery. As far as I understand, these batteries don't have a very effective control over overheating or overcharging conditions. Have you contacted Sparkfun to check with them if there are similar issues to yours?

Regards,

Pablo

ASter3
Novice

Hi PabloM_Intel,

I have not contacted Sparkfun yet. I will ask now to see if they have experienced anything similar.

Thanks.

Carlos_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I would like to know if you have contacted SparkFun.

Regards,

Charlie

ASter3
Novice

Hi CMata_Intel,

I submitted a similar question on the SparkFun forums. I am currently waiting for it to be cleared for posting.

If you think their is a better way to ask sparkfun about this problem, please let me know.

Thanks,

Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi ECEngineer,

Did they already contact you back? Have you tried contacting them via email? https://www.sparkfun.com/static/contact# email https://www.sparkfun.com/static/contact# email.

Regards,

Pablo

BMana1
Beginner

HI ECEngineer, I'm having the same problem, I think I have burnt some components near the Power IC. I couldn't figure out how can I fix. What did you follow in order to get your Edison back working.? Thank you